Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Newb from AK breaking in fresh 509" crusader. Removing inner valve spring or not? >

Newb from AK breaking in fresh 509" crusader. Removing inner valve spring or not?

Notices

Newb from AK breaking in fresh 509" crusader. Removing inner valve spring or not?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb from AK breaking in fresh 509" crusader. Removing inner valve spring or not?

I've always thought that it was a rule of thumb to pull the inner springs for a flat tappet cam break-in then reinstall. These are the factory springs from the a 92' 502xl gen v , .034 over , comp cams xm262h-12 . The stocker was a .470 lift I believe and this one is .515 on the exhaust and .505 on the intake. This is going into a friends commercial boat and its a real bear trying to work on the motor below the floor.

The machinist said to leave both springs in and just break the cam in being that the stockers are not that stiff.
I dont want to wipe a lobe out.
Anyone have luck leaving both springs intalled for break-in ?

Thanks !!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seen a lot of people not have luck breaking in BBC flat tappet cams last few years . Maybe run it on stand let raw water pump draw from a tub then check ?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pulling the inner springs after work today. Been reading to many threads about about not pulling the inner springs.