New to the forum--- Chaparral  2500sx >

New to the forum--- Chaparral 2500sx

Notices

New to the forum--- Chaparral 2500sx

Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the forum--- Chaparral 2500sx

What's up guys. My name is Chris. I am a busted knuckle, do it yourselfer. So I figured this would be the right place to put this. Here is the short story of the Chap... My family is very close and since 1985 we have done a family reunion at LOTO every year for the 4th of July. Well my dad always had a passion for boating and just being on the water. He had the same 82 20ft IMP with a 350 for the last 30 years. And every year at the lake he would talk about getting a new boat. We would go tire kick, and we always had a good time. Well over the last few years he decided he wanted a chaparral 2500xs open bow with a big block. Not very easy to find. Last year (2013) a week after our yearly trip to LOTO dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer, a very aggressive rare form. He began treatments still went to work every day to make money for the new boat. The searching began. On June 7th of this year me and dad drove up to Chicago and bought the boat. She needed some work and we got her for a good price. The previous owner hit a log and cracked the transom assembly. Then left it outside without winterizing it and cracked the block. A week after we got it we began work on the boat. I installed the new transom assembly first. Not to bad but I was running out of time. Only two and a half weeks till vacation and we never had it running. Dad's cancer was getting bad at this point but he was still working and helping me and my brothers with the boat. Ok. We go buy a 330 hp 454. And begin installing it. I got it put in the boat and and wired plumbed and ready to go. Mom and the brothers had to take dad to the hospital the night I was getting everything buttoned up. He was very proud his boat was almost ready and didn't want to go to the hospital. The lake was one week away. He was in the hospital for that week getting worse then getting better. But getting to LOTO for the family trip kept him going, he got out of the hospital on that Friday night. Saturday morning we went down. Dad wasn't doing good at all and had to go back to the hospital that night. We got the boat in the water... But he never got to ride in it. My father Keith James Carlson passed away to be with The Lord on July 6, 2014. I learned from all of this that even though he can't help me with these larger than life projects we always got into, he taught me so much in my life he will always be with me through the memories of the advice he always had to give.
Since me and my brothers have been working on small stuff. We had it out a couple times this season now and I am impressed. Runs great and crushes some waves for a "small" boat.
Anyway the boats name is HARD TIMES. That's what dad wanted to name it.
We will all have HARD TIMES but it how you deal with that counts!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, sorry for your loss.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have some great memories to keep your dad alive in your hearts... best of luck with the chap..
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss, but a cool story, glad you got it done for him
Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Sorry for your loss, and hope all those good memories soon replace all the hurt your feeling now
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Swiss, sorry to learn of dad's passing - I know how hard this may be for you and your family.

IMO Boats are a special "toy"- many of us have such fond memories from boating - or just being on a boat - some may have got that first kiss, fell in love, or saw a beautiful sunset. How many of us have the opportunity to spend time with "dad" catching fish or watching geese float by-- all of these are special- in your case fix-em-up will always be remembered and shared.

Enjoy "Hard Times" -- and above safe boating

3pointstar
Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swiss,
Sorry to hear about your Dad. At least he saw that the boat he wanted was in his families hands and knew you would enjoy it.
My Dad had us boating when we were in diapers on an old mahogany boat that he restored. He kept us boating into the late '80's when he passed away. My family have since gotten our own boats and continued the tradition, which keeps me going on my Chris Craft project. And also knowing Dad's keeping an eye on the progress!

CC230
Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Swiss,

Very sorry to hear of your loss, but you have to know that your Dad will be smiling down on you and your family as you enjoy time on the Chap in his honor. I almost bought a 90 2550 SX Chap - they are nice boats. Hope it is a good one for you, and if you have questions, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site ready to help you out.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I need to make some more posts before I can post pics.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Use something like photobucket and select the IMG link then paste

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.