Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How can you tell what scored your cylinders? >

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Notices

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

I have a question about cylinder scoring. How do you tell the difference between fuel cylinder wash down and cam debris from a improperly broke in cam ( new motor). Lets do this right !
Old 10-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Rutrow!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
I have a question about cylinder scoring. How do you tell the difference between fuel cylinder wash down and cam debris from a improperly broke in cam ( new motor). Lets do this right !
Last time I had a cam go south, I didn't see much damage to cylinder walls / pistons. What I did see was more confined to crankshaft & other pressurized oil flow path areas of the engine. The cam in question was a comp cam, installed & degreed same as every one I'd installed many times before. It failed during break-in time, so I had it tested for hardness and it was found to be soft by Comp Cam's listed spec. Comp didn't want to accept independent lab testing. They wanted me to send it back to them for "analysis & testing". I didn't trust them that the cam wouldn't somehow mysteriously get lost, and they would then tell me to get lost. Anyway, Comp wouldn't take care of ANY portion of my cost. not even a new cam. Put Cranes in a never had another problem. Screw Comp Cams!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I've never had cylinder damage from a lost cam either! Have you just checked the oil and cut the filter, is that how you established the cam debris, or have you pulled the pan and intake? Is there already cylinder damage or was that a question?
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

To the original question, logic would dictate that wash down occurs from the "topside" (intake) while anything related to the cam "miscellaneous metals" should occur from the crankcase side. So one might examine damages as above the rings, or below the rings accordingly.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaking exhaust. Water getting in cylinders. Common problem.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

can we see some pics?what do the sides of the pistons look like?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if this is a new build and detonation did not cause it id check the ring end gaps,probibally not set correctly and the rings were hanging up in the cylinder bore.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 1 pic of where I could be sitting out on a lake ,its a hundred here right now. Motor has an hour on it. I think the lifter never spun.

Last edited by mcprodesign; 10-03-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn that sucks. You just had this one done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.