what makes higher hp engines less durable >

what makes higher hp engines less durable

Notices

what makes higher hp engines less durable

Old 10-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to make big HP on a low maint schedule, but hard to do it on a big na push rod 2 valve moto because you have to use such extreme cams to get them to breathe. Other engines use two cams with the can lob pushing directly on the valve. Done right this can flow very well with relatively modest cams and the can only has to move the valve so less weight to control. As an extreme example a performance motorcycle makes up to 200hp/liter stock and I've yet to see o e wear out! I imagine this is a big part of why merc went for a four valve head on their high end motors.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikepilot
It is possible to make big HP on a low maint schedule, but hard to do it on a big na push rod 2 valve moto because you have to use such extreme cams to get them to breathe. Other engines use two cams with the can lob pushing directly on the valve. Done right this can flow very well with relatively modest cams and the can only has to move the valve so less weight to control. As an extreme example a performance motorcycle makes up to 200hp/liter stock and I've yet to see o e wear out! I imagine this is a big part of why merc went for a four valve head on their high end motors.
very true. I've raced motocross for years... Back when they were2 stroke motors..... No valves. You could ring the nuts out of them. Now with the 4 strokes you can still ring them out but there made to have the power at the bottom end. ( use the torque) for power. They still turn up to 13 k rpm and above with over head cams. As far as the hp motors +/- " black" motors. ... If you want more power= more fuel = more air= more rpm = more rotating mass= fast and lots of $$$$$ hahaa! But that's why we do it anyway. So just pin it and hold on

Last edited by Drew555; 10-10-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because big power equals big stress and as you approach something's ultimate stress its fatigue resistance falls. Eventually the fatigue line and stress line meet, and that's when 1 piece objects become 2 - 3 - 4 - infinity piece objects.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Valvetrain mostly.

With good breathing stuff,
For more hp you need more 'cam' and more rpm.

More lift usually creates more valvetrain stress. Add the two together = More rpm means spinning your cam faster thus more lift more often.

For BBC:
.500 lift very little maintenance if any (black motors)
.600 lift moderate maintenance (blue motors)
.700" lift very tight maintenance schedule. (big ballz motors...Lol)

Edit in: in case someone want to go deep on this: Above very generic info but will give OP what he is looking for right now.
I thought we'd already discussed the issue of you holding back, or withholding. Or was it withdrawing? No, now I'm thinking we talked about pulling out. What was the question?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never hurts to freshen up valves. Your power will start to drop off year by year. If you freshen up the valves, springs etc you can be back to original speeds for a few $
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

As components are added and changed to achieve the desired power, each part involved is subjected to more stress. The parts are manufactured to be functional, marketable, but only reliable enough to hold their share in their particular market or niche while keeping production costs within margin. Without a doubt the perfect or near perfect powerplant could be designed and manufactured to make any given horsepower and last as long as 10,000 hours provided money was spent without discretion. Every part that moves on and automobile has a built in failure rate. They are engineered to fail at so many hours or a given number of cycles or actuations plus or minus a certain percent. Parts could be made to last forever but they'd be expensive and the manufacturer would go out of business. I think I got off track somewhere so I think I'll stop here and get another IPA and let SB finish because I don't remember the question. He's probably not drinking tonight.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 10-10-2014 at 09:32 PM.