2001 33 Outlaw complete rebuild DIY project >

2001 33 Outlaw complete rebuild DIY project

Notices

2001 33 Outlaw complete rebuild DIY project

Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 33 Outlaw complete rebuild DIY project

I'm completely rebuilding this Baja 33 Outlaw. I got a "deal" on it knowing it needed work but didn't expect this much work. Guy told me it had been sitting for almost 4 years uncovered in NY weather. Hot, cold sun, rain, snow, ice, freezing and to top it off under a bunch of trees. I removed the breaker panel and a switch panel at the helm to see if it had sunk and it didn't look like it had but after getting it back to my yard and started taking it apart I now believe its probably a Sandy boat. Oh well... It'll be brand new when I'm done with it. Projected launch date: Memorial Day 2015. I'll be posting updates with pictures showing my progress as I go.

1. First is the obvious: cockpit upholstery. Dried cracked faded and soaked cushions. Completely replacing it with a new interior I found on craigslist. Dude said he smashed his 25OL into a pole. Seats were mint. I'll leave this part for last as to not ruin my new seats.

2. Engines, accessories, electrical and mechanical components. The rain seeps right thru the engine hatch as if it weren't even there. I checked after a heavy rainstorm and found the bilge was full of water because the drain hole was frozen. So I'll be pulling the twin 454s and replacing them with either long-blocks or drop-ins. If long-blocks, replacing complete exhaust, cooling and fuel delivery systems, starters, alternators, distributors etc... Definitely changing all throttle and shift cables.

3. Transom: Bravo one drives were already removed and stored in the garage. They actually look fine except for one prop being all scraped up. Will soon drain the oil to see what comes out. Gimbal bearings are seized. Don't know what the trim pumps have in store for me. or the steering and trim tabs.

4. Cabin: I read that on these Baja hulls the fwd bilge doesn't drain aft and of course the Bomar hatches are leaking, and with no batteries the fwd bilge pump doesn't work. So theres a pond under the step and floor, the carpet and all the foam backed vinyl and cushions are soaked. Most likely the wood is rotted too cuz it smells like an old basement in there. I'll be redoing the whole cabin. already started stripping it.

5. Hull: minor scratch on the port side. Could be from docking, or getting washed away by Sandy. I'll have the gel coat repaired and then wrap the hull with new vinyl graphics to match the new cockpit seats. I want to be able to peel it off and have the original colors underneath.

6: Helm: I'll replace the steering wheel but I'm hoping my switches and gauges are good and only need new bezels. Not sure what i can do about the throttle and shift control. Maybe new knobs/handles.

Let me know if I'm forgetting anything.

Before pics:

Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I think Mcleod did a lot of interior work on Baja's, I know they did all of the Formula's. I'd give them a call and see if they can make you new skins. Even though you can get seats from the 25 OL, the sun pad isn't going to work, and unless you're super lucky the colors won't be right. If done correctly and assuming you got a great deal, you will not lose any money. My suggestion is do it right and don't cut corners. Otherwise when you go to sell it, and at some point you will, you will take a big hit. A few extra dollars now will pay off in the end!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the transom and stringers over closely
Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I think Mcleod did a lot of interior work on Baja's, I know they did all of the Formula's. I'd give them a call and see if they can make you new skins. Even though you can get seats from the 25 OL, the sun pad isn't going to work, and unless you're super lucky the colors won't be right. If done correctly and assuming you got a great deal, you will not lose any money. My suggestion is do it right and don't cut corners. Otherwise when you go to sell it, and at some point you will, you will take a big hit. A few extra dollars now will pay off in the end!
i agree with endeavor. that back seat with 3 headrests is unique to this boat. you can really only use the front seats out of the 25. side panels won't fit and back seat totally diff. there is a guy in the baja section redoing his identical to yours sunpad hatch frame you could use to take a look at. it is amazing something looks so good could be so bad...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

So the front cabin bilge doesn't flow to the rear engine bilge? It has a separate pump? If that's for real that sucks?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You could also sand and buff the entire boat, that might save some money vs wrapping the boat, plus it's gel so less worries about tearing the skins. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice project!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
i agree with endeavor. that back seat with 3 headrests is unique to this boat. you can really only use the front seats out of the 25. side panels won't fit and back seat totally diff. there is a guy in the baja section redoing his identical to yours sunpad hatch frame you could use to take a look at. it is amazing something looks so good could be so bad...
sunpad fiberglass frame is 73" wide, 56 3/4 long with a 42" straight run before it angles down toward the bench. Thought I would share the actual dimensions so you could compare to the 25ol without taking apart the 3mm staples. You will have rotten wood in the hatch. You could really take this chance to redesign the headrest too. its really simple they way they made them!!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as the sides are concerned I would wrap it...you sand buff all you want...last a couple of months at best outside..
Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I would avoid wrapping at all cost. Your first oops at the dock and it's done, cannot be repaired. I've wet sanded and buffed lots of boats and it always lasts a long time, that is unless its really bad. I can see a reflection on the bow, IMO the fiberglass is still in good shape. It's dirty that's for sure, but I think it will clean up nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.