Notices

Stainless marine exhaust

Old 07-15-2017, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stainless marine exhaust

How many of you have your stainless Marine manifolds plumbed into the closed cooling system. I have a Volvo 8.1 fresh water cooled but the manifolds are raw water cooled. I am trying to figure out how to plumb the new stainless marine exhaust manifold in to the closed system when I build this next engine. I have had zero luck finding any thermostat housing that will work. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You need 2 water inlets on the manifolds and 1 more on the riser to run antifreeze in the manifolds. Coolant goes in one end of manifold and out other end. And raw water goes to riser. I don't think SM has that option.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Registered

They have the inlet in the bottom of the manifold and then the outlet at the top of the Manifolds. So that part can be looped into the glycol system then the riser has it's own port that the raw water can be connected to. The part I am having issues with is connections on the engine side and the right parts to do it with.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Registered

my hatteras has 2 outlets on thermostat housing. they went to the inlets on the manifolds. outlets from the manifolds went to 2 inlets on the heat exchanger. the 2 raw water outlets from heat exchanger went to the risers. with closed cooling, you could use an automotive gooseneck (we call it a thermostat housing) and plumb a tee fitting-reducer for the outlet to the manifolds. half-ass rigged temporary setup, but...or does your heat exchanger only have 1 return from engine? in which case an additional tee would have to be cobbed up. next question. does your heat exchanger have enough cooling capacity to also cool the exhaust manifolds? they are larger than exchangers that cool the engine only.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 07-16-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Registered

Well I looked at the specs of the heat exchanges from both my engine and crusader. My heat exchanger is 2" longer and a .25" narrower then a crusader exchanger. And I talked to a manufacturer in NY that makes exchanger and he said mine would be more then capable of cooling everything. I will have to figure something out to make it look half way decent and work.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Registered

does it have 6 inlet-outlets, or just 5? and do you have 2 outlets on thermostat housing?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Registered

No I don't have any of the extra outlets or inlets. What ever I source is going to be a 1 off or try and miss match some parts to make it happen. It is going to take some brain storming.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Registered

Thermostat Housing for Mercruiser GM 305 350 454 502 Closed Cooling and you can get do a black pipe tee with reducer from home depot to get the 2 coming back from the manifolds into 1 larger that fits heat exchanger.cheap, and you can sorta tuck it out of sight behind heat exch or somewhere. you in chesapeke, or ocean city pure salt?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Registered

Ocean city pure salt. My boat is a fishing boat with a 8.1 Volvo in it
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Registered

So why Stainless Marine exhaust? Or is it for longevity in the salt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.