one drive had green oil, the other black >

one drive had green oil, the other black

Notices

one drive had green oil, the other black

Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default one drive had green oil, the other black

Bravo One's, first time changing drive oil at home. Had maybe put 25 hours on the boat since it was at the shop last to have the steering cable replaced, and regular maintenance was done.

The starboard drive's oil was green, looked practically brand new, and not a speck of shavings on the magnet. Port oil however was jet black (though didn't smell burnt), and there were some shavings on the magnet. Have not noticed any other issues while running. Is this fairly unusual?

By the way, is there really only one grease nipple on each drive? I thought my dad had showed me two way back when, but couldn't find the second one.

Last edited by blown; 07-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I haven't come down to a conclusion as to why, but it seems like 9 times out of ten the port drive is darker than the starboard. If you had left it as one was dark I would've guessed port. Just keep changing it every 20-25 hours and don't be concerned until flakes show up on the magnet.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is odd, because the port drive of my previous boat was always much darker while the starboard side would come out looking new.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LH rotation drives have a tendency to generate more heat in the upper and the result is darker oil. I assume your drives spin out; if so, then this could just be that. My drives spin in and my port and center engines (RH rotation) always come out green while my starboard (LH) always comes out black.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my boat in the shop last year they changed the oil on both drives. I had just changed the oil about 3 hrs before and the mechanic was telling me that it looked like I had not changed the Starboard drive oil. I have my drives turning in,

Last edited by Turbojack; 07-09-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input fellas. I should have taken a pic of the port magnet to show the amount of shavings on there as i dont know what amount should have me worried. It wasn't a lot but definitely noticeable as the starboard magnet had nothing.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blown
Thanks for the input fellas. I should have taken a pic of the port magnet to show the amount of shavings on there as i dont know what amount should have me worried. It wasn't a lot but definitely noticeable as the starboard magnet had nothing.
It is normal to see a little metallic sheen in the oil, like if you dashed a little metal powder in it. Anything chunky or slivers is not good.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Yeah there were some tiny slivers on the magnet :/

Question: Spinning outward means the direction of the prop blades moving outward on the topside of the propellors, correct?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Question: Spinning outward means the direction of the prop blades moving outward on the topside of the propellors, correct?
Correct
Old 07-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Spinning outward means that the props spin towards the sides of the boat versus spinning in, which is the props spinning towards each other... put simply..

Spinning Out: Port turns counter-clockwise (LH rotation), Starboard turns clockwise (RH rotation)
Spinning In: Port turns clockwise (RH rotation), Starboard turns counter-clockwise (LH rotation)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.