Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue. >

iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue.

Notices

iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Like I said this engine can be just a tad bit older than the boat year model. If so the spacer and the cam sensor that is currently installed is incorrect causing your issues - THE OLDER CAM SENSOR FOR VOLVO 3859082 I believe DOES NOT REQUIRE THE SPACER SHIM but is needed if the engine block falls under certain GM block codes in which VERY POSSIBLE your does. I am not there looking at it hence my info.. .

If your engine is a mid 2004 built then the cam sensor 3808513 is used with the CORRECT spacer shim. You have to order it thru Volvo as they have that correct. Anyways all of this NEEDS to be confirmed and the proper cam sensor and if applicable the proper spacer shim used before moving forward . I have to go get stuff done and wanted to make all of this clear beforehand. Hopefully this clears this up finally, if not we keep on truckin ahead.
I have the old model sensor on order, and I suspect we're onto something here. It'll be in tomorrow morning. I plan on using the spacer that is current installed from the factory with the new sensor. I threw the old sensor in a drawer and I'm going to do a side by side comparison of all three (old, new, and currently installed) and make my determination as to what the hell is going on. In addition I'm going to inspect the timing chain cover for the subtle difference shown in that link provided earlier and hope that coaches me in a direction. Then, if I think I F'ed up and the new sensor thats coming in tomorrow looks like the one I removed and the one I pull out tomorrow doesn't. I'm get it all put together right and do a sea trial. I'll post results regardless just in case someone else is viewing this and is learning from it. I sure know I am.

Once again BUP, thank you so much.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

So as promised, Im posting the result of this trial and error. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy. If you look at the attached picture the far left is the sensor removed along with the spacer, the middle is the cheap rock auto sensor, and the right is the other generation (pre 2004) sensor I picked up from NAPA.

The right one is obviously not going to work, because I also confirmed the timing cover is of the 2004+ variety. So back in the box it goes. The middle one was previously installed with the spacer and did not work either proven by sea trial.

Went out yesterday, fingers crossed and the computer hooked up. She's alive again! At "no wake" speeds the spark advance is between 6-8 and when the hammer goes down it jumps to 24 and takes off. Previously I was limited to 3,000 rpms and 32mph. I got up into the river a bit til the chop laid down and I got it up to 4200rpms and 47mph and the motor seemed happy.

Heres what I did differently. I got an AC Delco "OEM Replacement" sensor from autozone and installed it without the spacer. When I first went under medium load (~1100rpm) thespark advance was bouncing between 6 and 8 and the rpm was surging a bit, but after 2 mins it was fine and held steady for the rest of the day.

I fully believe there is an advantage to using the genuine VP sensor with the spacer after all this "go around" I've spent $70 dollars on the two sensors I've installed/ran/can't return and spent 5 weekends troubleshooting and chasing parts. I found a VP one from their parts store for $150 bucks.

Thanks to BUP for all the help. Hopefully this will forever be in the anals of the internet to keep another backyard mechanic from ripping all their hair out.

Last edited by tgell001; 08-24-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad I found this post and you fixed your boat correctly. Like I said in this thread - does Rock Auto test their sensors in varies apps to see if they work or not - the answer is NO as we all can see and one of the reason I do not buy unproven parts to get myself stuck doing this for a living. Like I said you needed the correct spacer and what Volvo has because they are doing this fix differently than the rest of the OEM's. Plus the ECM / PCM is totally different as well. All that makes a difference to.

I was wondering what happened to you just the other day because I like to know what the fix was especially since I put time into writing all this info that has past thru my hands while working boats thru out the years.

I do have the cam sensor but are set for with out spacer and the Mercruiser set up. I had 10 made for testing and at some point would like to see how they work in Volvo's if possible without spacer.

Thanks for the follow up, I appreciate that and I would wonder how bad other boat dealerships would have struggled with this exact issue. I know they have and still do. it has been a lunch eater for people.

As you said iboats refered you to me ? That's funny - hell I never posted one thing on that site ever and only looked at 3 times ever.

Last edited by BUP; 08-24-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

I was not referred by iBoats officially. I was PM'd by someone on there saying I was wasting my time and to seek you out specifically. There was a guy on iBoats (Don S.) what was super knowledgeable but unfortunately he passed away and there hasn't been anyone stepping up to the plate in such a comprehensive way since.

I've found a new home here on offshoreonly, good information, and there wasn't any obvious trolling which is the big downfall of most forums.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:11 AM
BUP
Banned

Thanks for your time as well. I really respect the people that come back up and tell what the complete fix was especially in detailed info.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Registered

Easy there tgell001 with the wording, it was i who referred you to Bup. Reading your original post it was obvious you had some deep rooted issue that would take the skill set of someone not only with a good understanding of mefi but a in depth day to working knowledge and the intricacies of marine injection and illustrated here on this thread. There are some extremely competent individuals over there who are more than able assist anyone with issue's

THE ACTUAL MESSAGE

You need to go to offshoreonly.com and post I-boat's does not have a skilled mefi expert and you have a known issue. There's a on line personality named BUP he has the skill set.

I know it's easy to have the best of intention's when posting.... but i myself will choose my wording in the future with far more caution how people perceive something and the actual facts well it can be as different as night and day. To say iboat's is a waste of time just illustrates my point ..... Good to hear you were able to were able to find something as obscure as a spacer to be your problem good boating.

Last edited by Pliant; 08-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I Boat

U Boat

We All Boat
Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 AM
BUP
Banned

how about we all boat together

do have enough life jackets for all us

we all are coming over this weekend

Oh forgot LOTO is this weekend correct ?