502 MPI Gen V freshen w/ possible cam upgrade questions for the pros >

502 MPI Gen V freshen w/ possible cam upgrade questions for the pros

Notices

502 MPI Gen V freshen w/ possible cam upgrade questions for the pros

Old 11-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The 4.466 je 700s had low tension oil rings, the replacement options allow you to get std tension as far as i understand, they are still metric however so last i seen they were double the price of normal rings.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently built a bone stock 502 MPI except for a custom hydraulic roller cam and associated valve train. This engine was built for a small m1 procharger (5 psi). I dyno'd it without the procharger and it made slightly over 500 HP, 730 with the procharger. That was in complete marine trim and wet lightning headers.

Bob
Old 11-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
The 4.466 je 700s had low tension oil rings, the replacement options allow you to get std tension as far as i understand, they are still metric however so last i seen they were double the price of normal rings.
Ok I see! Is the reason to replace them the blow-by I have heard you mention in other threads?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I recently built a bone stock 502 MPI except for a custom hydraulic roller cam and associated valve train. This engine was built for a small m1 procharger (5 psi). I dyno'd it without the procharger and it made slightly over 500 HP, 730 with the procharger. That was in complete marine trim and wet lightning headers.

Bob
That would be great If I could do the same with the cam and get that power. What cam did you use for this?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My 502 had blowby since the day i picked boat up from Baja dealer brand new , took it back several times to dealer who tore motor halfway apart in boat (boat was less than 3 months old from new than), they let it freeze in parking lot and i took it out of there. I went thru motor myself back then, the rings were hard to find and expensive plus didnt like the glazed cylinders so I bought the je srp pistons that are a few thou over, tq plate honed the block and re-assembled it with std tension, american rings. have used those pistons in several builds since then with good results, I did see recently there was more 502 metric rings avail now than there was back in 1999/2000 so if your pistons are perfect and cylinders wont end up too loose I wouldnt say to NOT use them, fwiw, Smitty
Old 11-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam is one I spec'd from Cam Motion similar to a 500 efi grind. Don't remember exact specs but it was around 236/244 duration, .620ish lift, on 114 LSA with 2/3 4/7 firing order swap. I do have good headers that don't revert water easily. I would be a little more conservative on the cam otherwise.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered

My 502 had blowby since the day i picked boat up from Baja dealer brand new , took it back several times to dealer who tore motor halfway apart in boat (boat was less than 3 months old from new than), they let it freeze in parking lot and i took it out of there. I went thru motor myself back then, the rings were hard to find and expensive plus didnt like the glazed cylinders so I bought the je srp pistons that are a few thou over, tq plate honed the block and re-assembled it with std tension, american rings. have used those pistons in several builds since then with good results, I did see recently there was more 502 metric rings avail now than there was back in 1999/2000 so if your pistons are perfect and cylinders wont end up too loose I wouldnt say to NOT use them, fwiw, Smitty
So standard tension rings I will be sure and ask the machine shop about. The marina that tore my engine down subsequently sent out all the parts out to their machine shop who said I needed two new pistons. Not sure why they look ok to me but I'm no machinist. If I can reuse them I will but if I do in fact need two It may be more cost effective to replace them all with ones like you used.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
The cam is one I spec'd from Cam Motion similar to a 500 efi grind. Don't remember exact specs but it was around 236/244 duration, .620ish lift, on 114 LSA with 2/3 4/7 firing order swap. I do have good headers that don't revert water easily. I would be a little more conservative on the cam otherwise.
I am getting the impression that the cam I called and spoke with Mark Boos about 230/230 and 578/578 @ 144 is about all I can use with my Stainless Marine exhaust.... but no proof one way or the other lol
Old 11-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
So standard tension rings I will be sure and ask the machine shop about. The marina that tore my engine down subsequently sent out all the parts out to their machine shop who said I needed two new pistons. Not sure why they look ok to me but I'm no machinist. If I can reuse them I will but if I do in fact need two It may be more cost effective to replace them all with ones like you used.
Just DONT let them get merc replacement oem rings!
Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Registered

Just DONT let them get merc replacement oem rings!
Got it! If I have to buy the two pistons are the OE ones ok though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.