Head/Cam Combo for 454 Mag in Formula F223LS

Notices

Head/Cam Combo for 454 Mag in Formula F223LS

Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Head/Cam Combo for 454 Mag in Formula F223LS

Hello All!

In preparation for the upcoming season, I will be removing my engine this weekend to replace the coupler and detail the engine/engine bay. I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade the heads and cam on my engine however I do not have the experience to make a choice on which ones to get. The engine is a new 454 Mag with Stainless Marine full exhaust, Performer RPM Intake, and Holley DP Carb. Unfortunately I do not know much else about the internals because the Previous Owner did not have the answers. I am looking for a bolt on solution for a mild power increase. Any recommendations on a decently priced head/cam package that would work well with the existing upgrades would be greatly appreciated. It is a 1989 Formula F 223 LS and the best run last year 68.9 MPH @ 5,000 RPM on GPS with a BBlades worked 24P Bravo 1 at the end of last year. I hope I posted this in the correct section and I am excited to hear your suggestions. I will attempt to get more information if needed. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you need to decide how far you want to go.... that dictates what components...... Im doing a 486 right now with an hp500 efi roller cam and edlebrock marine heads.

There are definitely better heads, but at the price point and my goals (between 500~525 hp) they make sense. they are about 1200 each with decent valves, you have to add springs for desired cam. of course you could spend twice that and get afrs and make a bunch more power... or you can spend half that and get procomps and pray it stays together,,

Cam wise you will get as many replies as there are cams....
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Registered

Thanks phragle, I will look into those. As far as the entire upgrade is concerned, budget friendly with mild gains. Hopefully someone has a similar setup that I am searching for with P/N's so I get them on order.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

If its not broke, leave it alone. Save your 3-5k for the next boat.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Since you don't know what is inside first take it apart and see what heads and cam you already have. See if it a 2 or 4 bolt main. Making any suggestions for upgrades without this knowledge is useless. Maybe you already have upgraded heads enlarged valves with port work done and a good roller cam, you just don't know.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is very good advise, just remember your already running good numbers for a 223.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed. Thats really hauling. If your getting 70mph and its reliable, leave it alone.
Originally Posted by masi242
That is very good advise, just remember your already running good numbers for a 223.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How did the hull feel at close to 70?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Since you don't know what is inside first take it apart and see what heads and cam you already have. See if it a 2 or 4 bolt main. Making any suggestions for upgrades without this knowledge is useless. Maybe you already have upgraded heads enlarged valves with port work done and a good roller cam, you just don't know.
Thanks for the input, I will be pulling the engine on Sunday (weather permitting) to change the engine coupler and detail the engine bay. I will get pictures of the engine when its out and more information about what I find so I can get some informed recommendations. My goal is to have an honest 70-72 MPH boat when loaded and I am getting close so I figured I'd reach out to OSO to get some input on head/cam change to achieve that. I found this thread "http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/249710-whats-good-flat-tappet-cam-gen-iv-454-mag-2.html" that had information from Mustangmark.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 79formula
Agreed. Thats really hauling. If your getting 70mph and its reliable, leave it alone.
Thanks, the boat really moves with some light chop. This will be the 3rd season owning it so I am still learning how to dial it in when I open it up. Removing the water logged Silent Thunder platform and getting my prop worked at BBlades really improved the overall performance. It is the 3rd engine that has been in the boat over the years as I was able to contact the Previous owner can't remember exactly what has been done to the engine because it was like that when he got it. Its painted Merc Blue, Holley DP Carb, Performer RPM intake, Stainless Marine Full Exhaust System, some type of big metal bracing & plate engine mount assembly bolts to the stringers. It doesn't have a crazy idle that i can notice but it does rev extremely fast and its been turn key for 2 seasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.