Notices

Installing ext steering

Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Installing ext steering

I'm currently in the process of finding an ext steering set-up.
Trying to understand the basics of the install so I can buy something that will fit the limited amount of space available (wanting cyls mounted outboard of drives).

In regards to mounting the transom plates, ideally they should be mounted where ever they land on the transom when the piston is half way extended and drive is pointed straight back. However if they are mounted an inch or so inboard or outboard of ideal, how big of a deal is it? Can something get damaged or will I simply loose a bit of throw? Would bleeding air from sys be an issue?

Thx in adv.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

imco has a listing that is pretty helpfull in figuring things out, when you see the amount of different setups,, its going to take a minute to process. I have the SA-20-R which fits tight quarters on a single...

https://www.imcomarine.com/nvcatalog/imco_catalog.pdf
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 875 Likes on 317 Posts

depending upon where they are mounted they may not be at the half point. what has to happen is that at full turn one has to be fully extended and the other fully collapsed and then the same turning the other way. if one reaches full travel either way and the other can still move it will. that means that it will either break something or rip it out of the transom. hydraulics are very strong and unless you remember to never let it go to lock something will give sooner or later.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only installed one system.

As mentioned above, try to get them set up and mounted so that they max out/bottom out at the same time. I was close on mine, from what I recall I set them up so the retracting cylinder bottomed out first, and the extending cylinder still had about 1/8" left. My thought was that if the retracting cylinder bottomed out rather than maxing out the extending cylinder, it wouldn't be trying to pull the extending cylinder out of the transom. This was a full hydro to the helm setup, and when the retracting cylinder was fully retracted, it was felt in the helm and you backed it off anyhow.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:27 AM
Registered

Oh yeah. I got lost in that IMCO pdf for a while

Good points on the timing of the cyls. Looks like I need to find just the right length cyls.

Other than IMCO, any other manuf have their mounting details online? I haven't been able to find any.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://zeigermarinehydraulicsteerin...ss.com/page/2/
Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assuming you are doing the 29 fountain ? there are plenty of those with factory steering around that you can get pics of...
Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Registered

All I can find on the Zeiger site is single bravo and twin Speedmaster set-ups. Do the Speedmaster and Bravo drives use the same ext steering hardware?

Got a line on a full factory Fountain set-up from a 2003 35' that had twin transom mounted Bravos. The sys was removed to install extension boxes.

Anyone know who made the factory systems for Fountain in 2003? What kind of wing plate did the factory use? Will they work on my 1990 drives?

The seller thought the drive spacing was 34.5". Mine is 34". Will that be a problem?
Pics are on their way.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Registered

Haven't had much luck finding a good pic of a 1990 factory ext steering.
Found a pic of the 2003 Fountain wing plate. Looks like it only uses the 3 back cover attachment points.
Any known issues with this wing plate set-up? The plate looks plenty strong, but it's the only set-up I've seen that only uses 3 attachment points. My boat runs in the low 80's and only used in fresh water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551009[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Installing ext steering-2003fountain.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look for "for sale" boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.