Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Has anyone made boat stands or have plans for making them? >

Has anyone made boat stands or have plans for making them?

Notices

Has anyone made boat stands or have plans for making them?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBleil89
I have made them with the swivel scaffold legs that jsp posted.

I took normal car jack stands and cut them right at the top of the taper. Then I welded in a piece of chromoly tubing that the scaffolding legs slide into. Then I just put a piece of wood or thick rubber in between the stand and the hull. I have them at home and will take a picture when I get there after work.
What type and size jack stands did you use? And will it end up costing the same as buying Brownells after factoring in the scaffolding legs?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LoEZJUzKPF0

Check these out if you just need to lift off the trailer.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check your local Craigslist. They are available in many places.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking at price .. http://www.hostarmarine.com/stands/p...at-stands.html
Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I still don't see how the trailer is going to come out from under the hull. The keel jack alone will be in the way of the cross members on the trailer wile pulling out.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought they were in my garage. I must have moved them to my storage unit. It isn't the cheapest method compared to what some have shown. But I have the welder and I had several jack stands. I found the scaffolding legs at a construction tool service used. I think I spent the most on the 4ft of chromoly tubing. I just wanted to make sure it was extra strong.

92nsx- the easy you get the boat off the trailer is jack up the back and put the stands under the back corners of the hall. Then you take a floor jack with a notched 4x4 on it and Jack the front up by the keel. Put that on a stand with a 4x4. Then pull the trailer forward until the next cross member. Jack the keel back up and relocate the stand behind the crossmember. Once out from under the boat with the trailer you just make sure you have a good strong mount holding the front. Then you boat is basically supported by the back corners and the keel. This is the best way to put stringers and floors in a boat so it keeps its natural shape and not the shape of the support of the trailer.