Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Trim tab creeping up and popping noise through the stereo. >

Trim tab creeping up and popping noise through the stereo.

Notices

Trim tab creeping up and popping noise through the stereo.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Trim tab creeping up and popping noise through the stereo.

My port side creeps up within moments of lowering it. The other side is fine and holds its position. It has a fairly new pump and the tabs are a duel ram setup. I don't have a pic of the unit at the moment.

On an unrelated note, whenever I use the tabs I get a loud pop through the stereo even the stereo is nearly completely removed from the factory harness. The boat has a few funky electrical mods from the previous owner that I'm sorting out but I thought that I'd throw that out there.

'96 Baja 272
Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Creeping up under power, or stationary? Does the pump run when it creeps up?

My guess is leakby on the valve.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Registered

Just stationary even with the pump disconnected via Perko switch. I assume the valve is on the tab ram itself?

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 04-25-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be seals in ram just need to pull ram apart and install new o rings or take it to a local hydraulic shop for rebuild
Old 04-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Registered

This is the unit in question and the tab is rather damp. Anyone know what model this is? Also, it looks like a pita to remove so is it easier to just rebuild on the boat?

Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea those are hydraulically extended and spring retracted. Looks like you have an external oil leak allowing the tab to retract.

I rebuilt the Bennett tab rams on one of my old boats while it was still on the boat...was easy. Should be pretty simple for yours too.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

CHeck the Rams themselves as they look like mine and say "boat leveler co." On the sides. Many parts and help available on their website.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Registered

I pinged Bennet with a pic and they said that it's the insta-trim kit, so now I'm on the hunt for a rebuild kit. I have to say the customer service at Bennett was pretty top notch even though I don't have their system.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I pinged Bennet with a pic and they said that it's the insta-trim kit, so now I'm on the hunt for a rebuild kit. I have to say the customer service at Bennett was pretty top notch even though I don't have their system.
Yea, the Bennett guys are awesome. When I called to get parts for mine, they were like "Well what is your address?.......ok, we'll send you out the parts, no charge".....a few days later I got a padded envelope with o-rings, instructions,etc. Didn't cost me a dime.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick Bennett story:

I bought a set off CL Miami. And I bought switch with LED readout from Dallas CL. When I received the switch kit, one wire was removed from the ram. I called Bennett, told them they were new and in original unopened box, shipped them the bad ram and they quickly sent out a new one. Hands down the best customer service I've seen in a long time!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.