Closed cooling systems for 750-950 hp, intercoolers, sear strainers etc

Old 12-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
This is what I have cooling 800hp Procharger motors
http://www.standard-xchange.com/tool...ntend/item.asp

I run coolant in the block and my intrecoiled runs off the seapump.

What size coolers are those? How many plates?

I have the same coolers looks good.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Great stuff guys thanks for sharing! How are they mounted/held in place, any pics of the bracketing design?
Old 12-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Sorry, forgot about it. Here's the size for an LSA, 2/3 is the exchanger for the intercooler and the end is an oil cooler. With decent flow, this size keeps temps under control at 10lbs boost. [ATTACH=CONFIG]562506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]562507[/ATTACH]
What part number is that?

When you say decent flow, what pump are you using, and what is "under control" at 10 psi? Do you know what pressure the system sees? Intercooler pump effectiveness goes WAYYY down when they are run with more and more pressure head, the best testing Ive seen with a ZL1 intercooler core is with a $500 pump that flows more than a ZR1 does, or another for half the price that does about what the ZL1 Camaro pump does. Definitely be running more than 10, and Id like the IATs to be at ambient air temp or below since the octane on the water isnt what is always available at 93 pumps
Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Registered

Haxby?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 PM
Registered

But did you die? Haha
Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my set-up and flaws with it. I built a 2 stage pump that sits in place on the LS motor where the factor AC was, driven off a single belt.

1st stage
Sucks water thru the Bravo drive>thru stage 1> to water to water heat exchanger> out to each manifold> thru riser blocks>thru water cooled turbos> out the back of the boat

2nd stage
Sucks water thru a transom pick up> thru 2nd stage of pump> thru water to water inercooler> tees off and goes to each exhaust after the turbos> then mixes and out the boat thru the exhaust

Few things I learnd along the way. I couldn't have a single pick-up for both stages as it wouldn't supply enough water, tried going to 1.5" hose and still wasn't enough at high rpm to keep motor cool.

If I ran the 1st stage after it leaves the turbo into the exhaust at high rpms for even just 20 seconds it would be boiling the water in the exhaust pipes.

Current issue I have is after about 10-12hrs of use my intercooler is getting plugged up with algae. and I have to back flush the system to clean it out. I think this is happen because more so the lake water is high in algae then the boat sits with some water left in the intercooler let oxygen get in and grow. Still thinking how I'm going go fix that. Its easy to see as my intake air temps start climbing when boost comes up where they usually will stay steady if not drop a few degrees.

Otherwise my water to water intercool I'm using for engine coolant seems to be doing just fine keeping up to the task and I believe its of a 496 Mercruiser and I'm somewhere in the 550-600hp range
Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe swimming pool algicide? Takes a couple ounces to do 10000 gallons, so an eyedropper full put into system when it is gonna sit all week. Might be a thought.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbom700
Here is my set-up and flaws with it. I built a 2 stage pump that sits in place on the LS motor where the factor AC was, driven off a single belt.

1st stage
Sucks water thru the Bravo drive>thru stage 1> to water to water heat exchanger> out to each manifold> thru riser blocks>thru water cooled turbos> out the back of the boat

2nd stage
Sucks water thru a transom pick up> thru 2nd stage of pump> thru water to water inercooler> tees off and goes to each exhaust after the turbos> then mixes and out the boat thru the exhaust

Few things I learnd along the way. I couldn't have a single pick-up for both stages as it wouldn't supply enough water, tried going to 1.5" hose and still wasn't enough at high rpm to keep motor cool.

If I ran the 1st stage after it leaves the turbo into the exhaust at high rpms for even just 20 seconds it would be boiling the water in the exhaust pipes.

Current issue I have is after about 10-12hrs of use my intercooler is getting plugged up with algae. and I have to back flush the system to clean it out. I think this is happen because more so the lake water is high in algae then the boat sits with some water left in the intercooler let oxygen get in and grow. Still thinking how I'm going go fix that. Its easy to see as my intake air temps start climbing when boost comes up where they usually will stay steady if not drop a few degrees.

Otherwise my water to water intercool I'm using for engine coolant seems to be doing just fine keeping up to the task and I believe its of a 496 Mercruiser and I'm somewhere in the 550-600hp range
Have any pictures of this setup?

What is the engine setup itself
Old 08-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have talked with you before about it, if photobucket wasn't being so stupid I could upload photos of it.

But this is a twin turbo 5.3ls motor with a billet intake manifold that is stacked with a intercooler on top of it.

You can get a pretty good shot of it here

There is also a few video of it idling and running. That's a old video from almost 2yr ago, a lot has changed/approved upon since then.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 AM
Registered

Ok yeah, LS7 cam if I remember right, reversion issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.