454 MAG gen 6 build suggestions >

454 MAG gen 6 build suggestions

Notices

454 MAG gen 6 build suggestions

Old 02-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 454 MAG gen 6 build suggestions

Background on my boat, I have a 1988 Chris Craft Stinger 375 twin OMC king cobra/ford 460s. one motor is brand new and the other is original, both run and sound great but being me I can’t just leave my motors alone, I would like to be able to make some extra budget minded power and pretty my engines up, not really much to do to these 460s. I recently bought a complete gen 6 454 MPI and have all of the major parts to build a second cloned engine. it would mean a upgrade from 340hp carbed motors to 380 per side and have EFI if I stay with stock builds, bravos and the ability to put at least a good set of exhaust on it. this is not a real fast hull and I am not looking to keep up with the big boys but seeing mid 60s would be fantastic.

So if you had 2 fully forged 454s and you had to stick to the block, crank, rods and heads what would you build? Gil or similar exhaust would be used. I like the idea of no boost right now and keeping EFI but not against doing either. I am interested in what it would take to tune the EFI for cam, exhaust and maybe higher compression. MEFI 3 computers
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You said no boost but.......

Currently building a gen 6 454 mag, Big Al's aluminum heads (adk61 on here) 731 cam, 177 blower around,5 psi. worked over 1050 dom, and stainless marine exhaust.

Hoping to see around 550 hp and solidly dependable,
Old 02-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Registered

I was chatting with another guy that was building a gen 6 454 with 088 heads, crane 731, exhaust, 9.5-1 compression and expecting 525 on the low side saying that the last one he built was higher..... I run the crane 731 with flat tops and L29 large oval ports and gil exhaust on a cast internal 454, we have always thought that was around the 450 range so maybe that build can get to 525? I am thinking that if i do blowers that I would want side mount whipples on the MPI setup. I am back and forth on the EFI, carbs are easy but EFI would be great to have especially if I can mod the engine and tune it
Old 02-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate to say this , and it in now way implies im a ford guy ,but....
If you have omc's version of the king cobra with trw forged 9.0 to 1 flat tops, ,they can deliver 454mag power with a 800 cfm holley and some light exhaust mods
Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Registered

i have read up on them. i think some of the reasons i have the drive to swap is i have no way to do hydraulic steering which after having it on the last boat, i really want it. not being able to get a performance exhaust on it stinks. i have one set of conversion plates to bolt some gils onto the motor, i supose if i coupled that with a better intake and carb i might stay happy for awhile.... not being able to walk into the shop and find the parts i need is not great either. another reason is i feel this boat is probably worth 10k more with modern merc motors/drives in it vs the king cobras. i personally believe the combo is a great setup but most folks run from them. and who knows, by the time i have these 454s together, i may have another hull to drop them in. i have read mixed thoughts on how much HP the kings will hold so i am not sure bumping the fords up makes sense