Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Does High Performance Extreme Grease replace Universal U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Gre >

Does High Performance Extreme Grease replace Universal U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Gre

Notices

Does High Performance Extreme Grease replace Universal U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Gre

Old 02-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does High Performance Extreme Grease replace Universal U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Gre

I was doing my annual drive maintenance today. Went to my local dealer and could not get "Universal U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Grease. I found Quicksilver HP Extreme Grease at West Marine and read it replaces the U-joint/gimbal grease. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? If there is no information suggesting this is not the case, I will proceed with the new grease. I would like some validation on this subject first if possible.

Thanks Guys
Old 02-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=sleek1;4531937]I was doing my annual drive maintenance today. Went to my local dealer and could not get "Universal U

That is what I have been using for the last few seasons on my u-joints, gimbal bearings and engine couplers.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mercruiser condensed its grease line about 3 years ago. One grease took the place of 3 different greases - this helps with storage and profit. Anyways Merc Extreme grease 92-8M0071842 replaces Merc engine coupler grease, and U-joint / gimbal bearing grease and Anti corrosion grease.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE=johnny b good;4531981]
Originally Posted by sleek1
I was doing my annual drive maintenance today. Went to my local dealer and could not get "Universal U

That is what I have been using for the last few seasons on my u-joints, gimbal bearings and engine couplers.
Same here. Since I bought the VR1. So far so good. Before that I used Merc 24C in everything. U-joints, couplers, gimbal bearing and trailer wheel bearings. Challenger was an 84 model and gimbal and drive ujoints were original. IMO, its not the type of grease but that they are greased on a normal basis. Also, keeping your drive bellows boots in good condition. Nothing will kill a gimbal bearing faster than water ingestion.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

read it replaces the U-joint/gimbal grease.
Ayuh,.... For those applications, I use plain ole Napa chassis grease,.... Nothin' special 'bout those apps,....
Before that I used Merc 24C in everything. U-joints, couplers, gimbal bearing and trailer wheel bearings.
That's Not recommended,...
2-4-C is a grease for Bushing type bearin's, not any bearin's with rollers or balls,...
It's claimed to be so slippery, the rollers, 'n balls slide, rather than roll,.....

Last edited by Bondo; 03-04-2017 at 08:03 AM.