Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Dissolving aluminum corrosion >

Dissolving aluminum corrosion

Notices

Dissolving aluminum corrosion

Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I used an acidic solution on my trailer fenders;however, it only came back after 4 mos. or so, what an eyesore! I took them to get powdercoated 2 weeks ago for $200 total. Should have done it long ago.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

cant you take the screws out of the block of aluminum and split the two pieces apart?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe that block of aluminum is his puller.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Now that you have some play in it, find some of the Loc Tite Freeze off spray in the aerosol can use that. That stuff can work wonders, the longer you spray it the colder it makes the part youre spraying it on.

If it doesnt work itself, add some heat to it and then use that spray and the temp change may get them to break loose.

Just for the record , like one of those consumer reports , I had a job last year to dismantle some high end outdoor furniture for re-finishing . The furniture was powder coated aluminum and the bolts were stainless . Of course thanks to this gawd awful salty environment the aluminum had seized the s/s bolts to their threads in the furniture and we tried that Freeze off shyte. A total waste of money . Once I realized that all I was going to do was snap the heads off of the bolts we took the stuff to a machine shop and they extracted all the bolts and broken studs like magic.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
I believe that block of aluminum is his puller.
That would make more sense

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like brute force is the single biggest tool in the box. I had tried twisting it with a 12" wrench several times with no luck. After I got it moving a little yesterday, I got a 24" wrench on the clamping block and slowly got it rotating back and for a few degrees. Went back to using the jacking bolts, and finally got it moving and out. It's interesting to note that the muriatic acid attacked the bare aluminum far more than it did the oxidation. (Now you know why aluminum oxide is used on sandpaper...)
I couldn't get the anodized tube to unwind from the stainless fitting, even though I had used an anti-corrosion compound when I put the parts together (9 years ago), so I resorted to using a slitting saw to split it in half. (Exit $300+.) Now it's all cleaned up, sanded and repainted where the acid stripped the paint on the transom shield. Once the paint has cured, I'll clean up the bore in the casting with sandpaper and scotchbrite, then assemble it all back together with copious amounts of waterproof lithium grease. (And dismantle and re-grease them at least once a season from now on...
Attached Thumbnails Dissolving aluminum corrosion-plungerc.jpg   Dissolving aluminum corrosion-plungere.jpg   Dissolving aluminum corrosion-plungerd.jpg  

Dissolving aluminum corrosion-plungerf.jpg   Dissolving aluminum corrosion-plungerj.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 06-21-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

By the way, here's the breakdown of what I've been working on. Parts 25 through 32...
Attached Thumbnails Dissolving aluminum corrosion-dpx_transom.jpg  
Old 06-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

WOW
That is some serious bonding between pieces
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Yup. A nasty problem defeated by patience and persistence... ...and brute force.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Seems like brute force is the single biggest tool in the box. I had tried twisting it with a 12" wrench several times with no luck. After I got it moving a little yesterday, I got a 24" wrench on the clamping block and slowly got it rotating back and for a few degrees. Went back to using the jacking bolts, and finally got it moving and out. It's interesting to note that the muriatic acid attacked the bare aluminum far more than it did the oxidation. (Now you know why aluminum oxide is used on sandpaper...)
I couldn't get the anodized tube to unwind from the stainless fitting, even though I had used an anti-corrosion compound when I put the parts together (9 years ago), so I resorted to using a slitting saw to split it in half. (Exit $300+.) Now it's all cleaned up, sanded and repainted where the acid stripped the paint on the transom shield. Once the paint has cured, I'll clean up the bore in the casting with sandpaper and scotchbrite, then assemble it all back together with copious amounts of waterproof lithium grease. (And dismantle and re-grease them at least once a season from now on...
If you look up what anodizing is, its an oxidation process that changes the surface composition. Its that oxidized layer that protects the aluminum and makes it tougher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.