Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   What rpm do sea water pumps need to be spun? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/349410-what-rpm-do-sea-water-pumps-need-spun.html)

GrannySShifting 08-25-2017 09:41 PM

What rpm do sea water pumps need to be spun?

MERCRUISER SEA WATER PUMP 46-807151A9 BILLET ALUMINUM HSG AND SERPENTINE PULLEY | eBay

That style Merc pump? Thinking of driving with 4 rib AC pulley, I can math the pulley sizes and engine rpm to figure out what it would be spinning but dont know what "normal" is

mike tkach 08-25-2017 09:53 PM

i think they run pretty close to 1 to 1 ratio.

BUP 08-26-2017 12:08 PM

1 to 1

Just saying that's a GLM parts and in the marine world dealing with many parts daily -- many in the industry call GLM = GOOD LUCK MARINE pure CHINA made parts.

dereknkathy 08-26-2017 01:16 PM

Seems that all raw pumps take about the same size pulley, which is smaller than the crank pulley that drives them. Which means they are spun a lil faster than crank rpm. Then there is the direct drive type which, obviously runs at crank rpm. Some alpha vert shafts run a little slower than crankshaft rpm and they are the smallest pumps with least vanes that feed v8 engines. So a pulley the size of the crank pulley would be the upper limit in diameter. I wouldn't go much smaller than what the oem people use. Might spin it too fast.

GrannySShifting 08-26-2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4578549)
1 to 1

Just saying that's a GLM parts and in the marine world dealing with many parts daily -- many in the industry call GLM = GOOD LUCK MARINE pure CHINA made parts.

****. Looked like a simple deal not hard to screw up. Should I take it apart when I get them and use real bearings? I liked the bolt on pulley (I could have another diameter made if I needed to change ratios) and the 5 thru bolts for the housing gave me an easy place to mount the face to a bracket to bolt to engine block. Ordered the two when I was typing the original post :/ Anything else equivalent?

AllDodge 08-26-2017 05:52 PM

Unable to say anything about the quality but there offering a similar item as Merc (aluminum) or Hardin Marine (stainless). Its not like its hard to make one with a CNC machine. Everything else is simple seals.

GrannySShifting 08-27-2017 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4578604)
Unable to say anything about the quality but there offering a similar item as Merc (aluminum) or Hardin Marine (stainless). Its not like its hard to make one with a CNC machine. Everything else is simple seals.

Merc has something like that? Have a part number?

GrannySShifting 08-27-2017 12:44 AM

Or are you meaning this? MerCruiser Sea Water Pump/Pulley Serpentine Belt, Replaces 46-807151A9 - EMP | eBay

AllDodge 08-27-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting (Post 4578636)

Yes like that
Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. Sea Water Pump

GrannySShifting 08-27-2017 08:54 AM

That doesnt have the bolt on pulley