Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Electric Fuel Pump woes....... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/349810-electric-fuel-pump-woes.html)

TBAG 09-15-2017 09:05 AM

Electric Fuel Pump woes.......

I've got a 454 Mag that was converted to a 4 barrel carb and electric fuel pump by previous owner. Fuel pump is mounted as low as possible on the bulkhead in the bilge. Same old story, after sitting for a week fuel wouldn't get to the carb via pump because as we all know electric pumps push fuel and don't pull very well. I finally got tired of it last year and had never replaced the anti-siphon valve and figured that was the issue. Well, spending a full day removing the entire back seat and floor to get to the siphon valve on the tank it turns out the check ball had already been removed. So I took it off, cleaned and soaked the barb. Ran all new fuel lines from tank to pump and then pump to seperator then to carb. I also put a brand new Holley carb on as well as a brand new Holley fuel pump, this is after replacing the Jegs fuel pump the previous season. Boat ran fine for a while but did the same thing after not using it for a couple weeks.

Went to go use boat last weekend and it happened again, fuel pump is running but won't suck any fuel at all, and line from tank to pump is completely dry. Tank is full so that's not the issue, vent by fuel fill has no cobwebs etc...

Any suggestions on getting fuel flowing without once again removing back seat and floor? :angry-smiley-038:

After fuel is flowing what's my next step before I lose my mind. Aeromotive, Carter, stick with the Holley? Can I convert back to seawater driven fuel pump?

Thanks for any help

f_inscreenname 09-15-2017 09:23 AM

When I convert mechanical to electric I always make sure there is a fuel filter/water separator (looks like an oil filter) just before the fuel pump that way there is always fuel sitting there for the pump to pick up. I've taken boats apart that have sat for decades. It may be crappy water-kerosene in the filter after all those years but they are never dry.

Sonic30ss 09-15-2017 12:16 PM

What he said^^^^^

Tank pick up to Racor 660RRAC02 (Mount higher than pump) to suction side of pump

Discharge side of pump to stock merc fuel/water separator to carb.

Holly Black marine pump is fine for your application.

I have this set up, occasionally I wont see fuel pressure immediately; there is always enough fuel to start and within a few seconds pressure will come right up.

dereknkathy 09-15-2017 01:59 PM

Do you put a seperator both sides of the pump?

TBAG 09-15-2017 02:49 PM

Awesome guys, I'll order one and make it the winter project.

Any suggestions on getting fuel flowing without removing the backseat? I'd like to use the boat this weekend aka tomorrow morning haha.

kip4234 09-15-2017 03:07 PM

That is my question also I was always told to put like 100 micron pre pump and the big type spin on after the pump ???

Revelocity 09-15-2017 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TBAG (Post 4582611)
Awesome guys, I'll order one and make it the winter project.

Any suggestions on getting fuel flowing without removing the backseat? I'd like to use the boat this weekend aka tomorrow morning haha.

Try a hand vacuum pump similar to what is used for sucking oil out of the dipstick.

SB 09-15-2017 03:59 PM

Can you mount the electric pump at least a tiny bit lower than the top of the tank ? This keeps some fuel in the line at the pump and should make it work okay.

dereknkathy 09-15-2017 07:19 PM

Grab an outboard fuel line hand primer bulb.

I'CE 09-15-2017 07:29 PM

mine goes from fuel tank to full flow 1/2 inch ball valve to big fuel filter assembly to electric pump mounted about mid section of fuel tank to carbs. had similar issues as you describe now I shut off the manual ball valve when trailering or long periods of shut down thus preventing back siphoning no more issues kind of a pia but it solved the problem gd luck