Notices

Gantry Cranes

Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
managed to find it on Craigslist, got it for $800
There is one on ebay right now used but it doesn't look very tall. $600 I think. That is an awesome price for what you got! I may go with the Harbor Junk unit and just lengthen the beam.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerBurich
Did you have to widen your H/F gantry?
Lucky enough with my inboard 67 Nova race boat I only had to widen it a couple inches so I built new longer plates that the cross beam sits on. Like said I love how it can be wound down to be shorter and I leave mine outside and it still looks as good as when it was bought.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did a search and found Titan from Collierville, TN has a 1 ton gantry for $499 delivered. 12' height by 97.5" wide. It has a jack system for raising and lowering too. The one I borrowed last go round had no jacks so I ended up raising and lowering it with my chainfall pulling on a tree branch. That made deploying and stowing it a major pain in the a**. Plus at a little over 10" I had to let the air out of my trailer tires and raise the nose to get the rear of my boat down enough to clear the bottom of the engine.
I think I'm going to have a tow truck pluck mine next time though. It would take at least ten visits to pay that $500 back. I don't have to pull engines too often, but if I had more room and really wanted my own gantry I'd look into that Titan.

Last edited by NHGuy; 09-30-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

I made mine it's adjustable from 8' to 13'. I used 3" square tube and 21/2 square tube with a 6" aluminum I beam for the top.Its made to unbolt for storing it.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NHGuy
I just did a search and found Titan from Collierville, TN has a 1 ton gantry for $499 delivered. 12' height by 97.5" wide. It has a jack system for raising and lowering too. The one I borrowed last go round had no jacks so I ended up raising and lowering it with my chainfall pulling on a tree branch. That made deploying and stowing it a major pain in the a**. Plus at a little over 10" I had to let the air out of my trailer tires and raise the nose to get the rear of my boat down enough to clear the bottom of the engine.
I think I'm going to have a tow truck pluck mine next time though. It would take at least ten visits to pay that $500 back. I don't have to pull engines too often, but if I had more room and really wanted my own gantry I'd look into that Titan.
That's what I used to say when I used to rent a cherry picker back when I was a teenager. After the second or 3rd rental (having to pick it up when they were open and get it back before I was charged for another day) I figured just one more rental and I could have owned it. I also figured if I had one all the time I could have used it for other things so even though I didn't need it at the time I bought one and let it sit for a few months but I did use it and since have used it so many times I cant even count. As for my gantry, knew I was going to use it more then once being the race boat has 2 motors and I was just figuring it out at the time. I have since used it for motors, taking boats off of trailers, all kinds of stuff more then a few times now. I thought of the tow truck thing. Didn't think they would have a boom long enough and on top of that having a tow truck and driver sitting around while I was trying to get a motor lined up and such didn't seem worth the hassle.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The Titan looks like the best bang for the buck even though it has to be widened. Thanks everyone for all the replies!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I made one out of wood. 6x6 for the sides, 4x4 for the feet and some 2x6s for the angles from feet to sides and 2x4s from sides to beam. I used 3 2x12's for the beam across the top. Notch out the 6x6 at the top to sit the beam on.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Depending on the boat, 12' might not always cut it. I rented a 12'x12' from United Rental for a month for mock up work. With chain hoist they supplied, engine still wouldn't clear back of a 40OL with oil pan on.. I've been searching for a good deal on one too.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Miss my first i/o. I pulled that engine with an eye loop in a 4x4 laid across the rafters of my garage. No way with these bigger boats that can take some chop.
I wonder if one could put a beam at the peak of the garage. I'd be afraid to do it without an engineered design. But that would be always ready and take up less space that entire gantry. My brother's gantry was in the way most of the time it was here.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

check all the local small boat yards around you. some have the wherewithal, crane truck or backhoe. usually cheap. or even broken travel lift you can back under. and it isn't done in your driveway with neighbors staring...again.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-03-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.