Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
My Performance boat has lost 4 MPH in Top Speed Pls help me diagnose the problem >

My Performance boat has lost 4 MPH in Top Speed Pls help me diagnose the problem

Notices

My Performance boat has lost 4 MPH in Top Speed Pls help me diagnose the problem

Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi both the engine oil and the drive oil were changed this spring a week before I put the boat into the water so the oils should be fine at this point which is just under a month of being in the water. Both oils are Mercury synthetic oils so they should be good for at least my whole boating season which I will change them again this fall.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Registered

Hi Yes the RPM is showing the same that it was running at 72 mph. Which is what makes me wonder about the current prop hub Flo Torq II the Delvin / nylon main hub. I just ordered the solid hub version for over 400 HP today. Hopefully this will fix the problem but as I said it doesn't appear to be slipping at lower speeds and it doesn't seem slipping at WOT but I guess that it could be flexing or slipping some as I used the boat more and more over the past few weeks.

Last edited by h20guy; 06-14-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I have no idea what the fouling capabilities of your , or any , lake is but the only way to properly clean the bottom of a boat that's left in the water is to don a mask and physically get under it. It wouldn't take much fouling to see a 4 mph loss . And remember , the prop has to be spotless as well .
Old 06-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Pull the boat out of the water and clean the bottom and inspect prop. Prop hubs are either bad or they aren't. They won't just slip a little bit.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

growth / scum line on the bottom and outdrive and prop will slow one down from 4 to 10 miles depending on how much growth. Also make sure your not holding water that is entering the hull.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Registered

When I clean the bottom of my boat at the Sandbar it gets very clean I don't have a lot of buildup on the bottom just some water scum and it all gets scrubbed off with the brush and pole that I use. I do half of the boat at a time starting at the transom and working forward on one side and then doing the other side the same way. I also clean the outdrive and prop as well. It's not perfect but in the past it has provided me pretty much the same WOT throttle speeds as when I first put the boat into the water. AS I said in my original post if it's a humid or really hot day I don't even bother wasting the fuel doing high speed runs as I know that those conditions will Rob the engine of major HP.

So without any Alarms going off in the boat are there any codes that would only allow the boat to reach say 90% power instead of 100% without sounding an alarm or beeps? I thought that I have read that with the prop hub that I'm currently running on the prop if it overheats or hits something it would heat up and twist some and then cool down and still spin the prop normally after that but I'm wondering if it's heating up the Delrin / Nylon hub and slipping some at WOT?

Last edited by h20guy; 06-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I would check the condition of the prop itself. If you are in a lake where you have a sandbar, chances are you have other shallow spots where prop damage could occur as well.

BTW, these boats were never intended to be left IN the water for a full season, and especially not a West Coast boat like a Shockwave. The majority of the West Coast boats have a LOT of wood in their construction. I am NOT familiar with the layup schedule and materials that Shockwave uses, but be aware that you could potentially be absorbing water into your transom and stringers at mounting and through-hull points. (Tabs, ladders, rings, indicators, transom assembly, underwater lights, bilge plugs, etc. etc.).
Old 06-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Simple physics and elimination. If the motor is spinning the same rpms and the driveline is solid the prop is spinning the same rpm. So your speed loss is not engine related.
So now that we have eliminated the motor as a variable, that means somewhere you have lost efficiency. that leaves 3 possibilities.
1. your prop is tweaked
2. you have more drag
3 you are moving more weight.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

4) The more accurate than GPS , speedo is incorrect.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Dude, I tried to tell you to leave the skanks to the fountain guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.