Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
overheated 92 454 (330hp) - now slow to turn over and no compression on many cylinder >

overheated 92 454 (330hp) - now slow to turn over and no compression on many cylinder

Notices

overheated 92 454 (330hp) - now slow to turn over and no compression on many cylinder

Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 PM
dna
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news. I removed the exhaust, riser, intake and head. The #5 piston has a huge whole in it and the valve on the head is gone (the rod snapped on the spring side - so I see the spring and rod on the top of the head but once removed the flat valve head/seat was gone - it chewed up the valve opening pritty good to the point where I'm not sure a shop can even smooth it out to ever hold again - so likely the head is gone. But worse is the piston and whatever is under it in the bottom end of the engine. Obviously all the broken metal pieces from the valve head and part of the snapped rod fell down into the bottom end.

So what are your suggestions from here? Is it worth fixing?? I know how to fix the head or replace it needed, but have no idea of what to do to replace the piston - can this even be done with the engine still in the boat??? Note that I have a fair amount of working space in the engine compartment, so is there a chance I can replace the piston with the engine still inside the boat?

On a side note, what is the likely cause for a valve rod to snap and a piston get a huge hole through it - is this a typical result of overheating? I assume the piston damage is from the rod snapping and then the valve head smashing through it, but what would cause the rod to snap? Also remember that on the other side of the engine #2 has only 80 PSI (all others on that side are 120+) - I haven't removed the left head yet - should I? Any ideas why I'd have lower compression only on the one cylinder - do you think I could have piston damage there too? Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

See post #'s 18 and # 28.
Over and Out.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM
dna
Registered

I currently have 049/781 heads in my boat, but still have a good peanut head (and valves/springs) from when I replaced the heads last year. I know I can go with a peanut head on one side and a 049 or 781 on the other - I guess that is an option if the valve seat on the damage head can't be machined. I also saw an ad in local craigslist of a guy selling 346242 and 348242 heads for a bbc - would these work?

But my bigger problem is the bottom end. What are my options for this? Is cleaning out the bottom end and replacing a piston something I can do without pulling the engine? How hard is it?

I will also start to look for whole new engine, but here it will be easier to find a complete 454 from a car vs a boat. If I get a car 454, what pieces do I keep on that and which do I swap with my stuff? For example, could I use everything up to the heads and then just put on my intake, exhaust mainfold and risers and be good to go? Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Stick a fork in it and pull out the engine.

Quite easy to do...minus some overly heavy engine hatches in some boats.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:18 PM
dna
Registered

found this locally advertised - will this work for me as-is, with me just needing to add my intake, carb, distrubitor, exhaust manifld and risers? Would I need to swap flywheels or anything else??? It is just $500 and seems like a quite easy cheap option right now - your thoughts - https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-...ationFlag=true
Old 07-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, just pull the motor. There is no way you can rebuild it in the boat. If your interested, I have a set of good rods and std. bore pistons I'll sell ya. $50 + the ride. PM me.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been absent a while. I havent read the whole thread. Hole in piston. The motor you are looking at is newer. No fuel pump mount location. Or is your fuel pump mounted to the water pump? Electric fuel pump isnt such a big deal. Why an engine drops a valve is one of the mystery questions of life. If i recall you run your boat hard with too high a pitch prop. I think you need an inch or 2 shorter prop...and an engine! That kijiiji engine looks ok from that 1 pic. Best bet if you get it replace the main and rod bearings and check the crank. I too have a few spare pistons and rods if your cylinder wall didn't get hurt, but that 454 needs to start a new career as a sailboat mooring...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 07-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:50 PM
dna
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Been absent a while. I havent read the whole thread. Hole in piston. The motor you are looking at is newer. No fuel pump mount location. Electric fuel pump isnt such a big deal.
Hey Derek - been a while (actualy last year).

So with this other motor for sale, can I just bolt up my intake, carb, exhaust manifolds, risers, and flywheel and basically be good to go, other than needing to add electric fuel pump? I noticed this motor for sale has 10114156 heads, and I've read these are also peanut heads and not the most favoured for performance - I currently have 049/781 in mine - are these 4156 heads OK? How would I add an electronic fuel pump - what would I need and how do I install it?

I called the guy with this motor and he said it has been sitting for a few years in his garage and now has dust inside the intake area (since it had no intake manifold) - he suggested it should be cleaned including removing the heads? Does this sound fishy - should I pass and keep looking? Also he said he added a spare flywheel to it and starter recently and did a quick compression and got 105 on each cylinder - he agreed that is low but said it is due to low/no oil in the cylinders due to sitting for a few years - he said after adding oil this should be at 135 each - again does that sound fishy?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just added to my post. Where is your fuel pump, on engine or on water pump?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 PM
dna
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
I just added to my post. Where is your fuel pump, on engine or on water pump?
I have the fuel filter on the left front of the engine (facing back) and just side it is what I think is the fuel pump which looks like it has a pulley and is part of the main pullet belt

will that engine I provided a link work for my system with simply adding my intake, exhaust, riser and carb, or will it require lots more. Are the heads on that unit OK for boat performance compared to 049/781s Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.