Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   weird timing symptoms (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/355316-weird-timing-symptoms.html)

sashap 07-13-2018 10:19 PM

weird timing symptoms

Mercruiser 3.0 serial: D706324 EST Ignition (all new parts) Carb rebuilt. Starts on half a turn usually. Idles smooth, runs quietly.
My issue is that I am short about 800 rpm. I get on plane ok. I am propped correctly. I am also missing about 10mph on top end. I set the timing according to the proper method. It is right now at 0 Degrees BTDC (I think manual says I need 1 Degree BTDC). When I am on the jumper with switch bypassed, it doesn't sound any different than when it is on regular mode. Plus, when the jumper is removed, the timing still sits at 0 Degrees. It does advance to about 12 degrees when I am at about 2500 RPM. When at WOT I can't see the mark as I don't have an advance timing light.
I do believe that something is not right. The ignition EST module is brand new.
Ideas anyone?

SB 07-13-2018 10:29 PM

What is the total supposed to be ?

Why was carb rebuilt and ign module replaced ?

I too rebuilt a carb and replaced module on a 3.0 the other year.so i remember some things..but it was a Volvo Penta so has the luxury of having a Holley 2bbl. :)

sashap 07-13-2018 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4637577)
What is the total supposed to be ?

Why was carb rebuilt and ign module replaced ?

I too rebuilt a carb and replaced module on a 3.0 the other year.so i remember some things..but it was a Volvo Penta so has the luxury of having a Holley 2bbl. :)

total should be 24 Degrees. I honestly don't think it's even close. Curve shows minimum at idle should be 12 plus or minus 2. I show 0 no matter what at idle.

The carb was rebuilt because the boat sat for 7 years before it was given to me. I changed all ignition components too because I could not confirm what worked and what didn't plus age. The distributor is the same but the pickup coil and rotor and cap is all new. The carb is good now as it starts and idles and performs otherwise perfectly. The jets are all clean and working perfectly and tested with a manual pump to ensure flow. The problem solely rides with the timing at this point. It just isn't doing what the book says it should do. Could it be yet another failed EST module? This is the third one. Original, then new one didn't even give me ignition and then this third new one is acting weird I think.

SB 07-13-2018 10:39 PM

Okay thanks. I set things to total,,,don't give a damn to initial and i don;t have to set things at idle to make the EST go into base timing mode and etc.

I rev engine until the advance stops advancing and rev it a little higher to make sure,,,and then set total to that rpm,

I do have in my notes what AcDelco Module I installed in that EST distributor if you need that to compare ?

sashap 07-13-2018 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4637579)
Okay thanks. I set things to total,,,don't give a damn to initial and i don;t have to set things at idle to make the EST go into base timing mode and etc.

I rev engine until the advance stops advancing and rev it a little higher to make sure,,,and then set total to that rpm,

I do have in my notes what AcDelco Module I installed in that EST distributor is you need that to compare ?

I can't set to total anyway because I don't have an advance timing light. Please let me know the module number? I got the last two from the local auto parts dealer who sells West Marine parts so it should be correct in both cases. I just think it's faulty is all I could see.

SB 07-13-2018 10:48 PM

Found it. Got it thru Amazon as I get most of my ACDelco parts thru there. I buy tons of AcDelco parts. :)

This one:
ACDelco D1965A GM Original Equipment Ignition Control Module
by ACDelco
Link: http://a.co/fGn9aJv

BTW: Do you know how to apply and what heat transfer paste to use with modules ?

SB 07-13-2018 10:49 PM

I use an advance gun always and I set engines to total always. I'm 321 yrs old....I had a pet dinosaur. This works :)

sashap 07-13-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4637582)
Found it. Got it thru Amazon as I get most of my ACDelco parts thru there. I buy tons of AcDelco parts. :)

BTW: Do you know how to apply and what heat transfer paste to use ith modules ?

this is exactly what I got. The paste I used was in the box. I like to use the same paste that I use on CPU's. It is designed to be the best heat transfer.

SB 07-13-2018 10:51 PM

How do you know your boat is 10mph slower than it should be if it hasn't run right since you've had it ?

sashap 07-13-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4637583)
I use an advance gun always and I set engines to total always. I'm 321 yrs old....I had a pet dinosaur. This works :)

Funny!