Back fire on start stock 496HO >

Back fire on start stock 496HO

Notices

Back fire on start stock 496HO

Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resolved

Hey guys, replaced the cam sensor and back fire is gone, next problem; replaced IAC, won’t cease ops and cuts out engine when idle or close. Just fine in high power....
Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Registered

Default Crank shaft sensor

hey guys, any cross reference for crank shaft sensor like the automotive IAC for the Merc 496? $330 pretty steep for a quick silver....
Old 01-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 38fountained
hey guys, any cross reference for crank shaft sensor like the automotive IAC for the Merc 496? $330 pretty steep for a quick silver....
GM 8.1L crank sensor for a lot less
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

have them for 160 shipped. Same exact Merc uses - Not knowing your engine serial number yours possible changed. And I will be in Florida working on boats next month and even a couple of 496 s .
Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Registered

BUP, verify stock GM 8.1 automotive not the same and could be causing me problems. Mine has number that does not match .......
Old 01-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 38fountained
BUP, verify stock GM 8.1 automotive not the same and could be causing me problems. Mine has number that does not match .......
Of course it’s not gonna be the same part number , GM 8.1 you are getting a AC Delco number not the MerCruiser number but it’s the same sensor, now by whatever makes you comfortable,

No difference in the automotive IAC that people have been using not the same number as MerCruiser either
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM
BUP
Banned

to set the record straight not all aftermarket crossover IAC's work as they should per PWM matching what MERC has installed And for the record I can prove all of this first hand on twin engine scan reports just by same day changing the IAC s and gaskets out from Standard motor products and BWD to what Merc is selling for IAC they use.. Anyone what to take that bet ? because I have the sameday scan reports from idle to WOT of the differences of the PWM between the IACs. You are going to be surprise at the difference between the PWM s. Apples to Apples testing. Plus how many people up here have I told to try the IAC merc uses and they reported their running issues cleared up completely.

I have many OEM IAC s as well for way less plus the proper info and proper related parts that need to be installed on top of.

For the crank sensor the early version were RIBBED versions and are NLA they went to a NON ribbed version. Like I said I have them that are the same as MERC .

Last edited by BUP; 01-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:09 PM
BUP
Banned

496 Mag surges on idle

the link above is one about switching to the IAC Merc uses - yep 60 bucks more he had to pay but like I said the aftermarket cheaper IACs do not exactly work out alot of the times. Really do not care if you think im wrong cause If I have to Ill post the testing results i did for the day all about this and the difference PWM results from one IAC to another to what MERC uses, I was even shocked at the different parameters when scanning
Old 01-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
to set the record straight not all aftermarket crossover IAC's work as they should per PWM matching what MERC has installed And for the record I can prove all of this first hand on twin engine scan reports just by same day changing the IAC s and gaskets out from Standard motor products and BWD to what Merc is selling for IAC they use.. Anyone what to take that bet ? because I have the sameday scan reports from idle to WOT of the differences of the PWM between the IACs. You are going to be surprise at the difference between the PWM s. Apples to Apples testing. Plus how many people up here have I told to try the IAC merc uses and they reported their running issues cleared up completely.

I have many OEM IAC s as well for way less plus the proper info and proper related parts that need to be installed on top of.

For the crank sensor the early version were RIBBED versions and are NLA they went to a NON ribbed version. Like I said I have them that are the same as MERC .
I am not talking about the IAC, The IAC is a 2 wire(PWM) pulse width modulated valve ,They might look the same but yes the resistance values are different,

I was just answering his question of a replacement Crank sensor,Those as you know work differently what matters is the air gap between the reluctor and the sensor, the reluctor is the same in the Marine and auto applications because it’s the same crankshaft the sensor is a three wire sensor ,a sensor signal, a 12 V and a low reference wire, so as long as the gap between the reluctor and the sensor are the same it’s the same sensor and yes GMs Crank sensors are also a NON ribbed single O ring design to help eliminate them from sticking in the block.

And not really interested in taking a bet if you were referring to me, just trying to help out

Last edited by boatnt; 01-25-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
to set the record straight not all aftermarket crossover IAC's work as they should per PWM matching what MERC has installed And for the record I can prove all of this first hand on twin engine scan reports just by same day changing the IAC s and gaskets out from Standard motor products and BWD to what Merc is selling for IAC they use.. Anyone what to take that bet ?
Yeah, thats very true. Store bought IAC from Autozone and the like never worked on my496/8.1 Raylar 600's. They caused a lot of crazy issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.