Notices

Fogging question...

Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

have to warm up the engine to its opt temp as well. So do that first if one is going to add oil to the fuel water sep filter. IMO depending on size of filter one is going to run out out the mix first - its best to use what the all the OEM s recommend a remote fuel supply / tank with the mix.

Some of the fuel filers hold LESS than 16 oz of fuel but of course the bigger the filter the more capacity, 2 stroke oil is not going to hurt the filters as many 2 stroke outboards run the same filters and some even use a smaller fuel water sep filters, for an example the Merc optimax outboards. The optimax has a water detecting sensor screwed into the bottom of that spin water fuel sep filters -- it is half the size of the filters we commonly use., They are the same micron ratings as the common spin on filters that is used for sterndrives ---- my point is that 2 stroke motor oil for outboards is ran thru the fuel filters all the time without any issues.

Also like I said many 2 stroke outboards use the exact same spin on filters as I/O -- inboard apps. 2 stroke outboard motor OIL is the best solution to use for lay up at the CORRECT MIX RATIOs so again IMO it is best to premix a correct ratio in a 3 or 6 gallon remote tank and run it thru for 10 to 20 mins --- engine fully warmed up.

EVEN for CARB engine s the same procedure to follow this practice. The least amount of issues take place with these procedures. Water and or condensation is the worst thing for the internals of the filters and fuel along with all fuel related parts. Water is a killer.

Fuel samples is the another most important testing procedure in the mix for winterizations and thru out the year. Quality fuel stabilizer for the mix as well. Some do not last that long and keep in mind - they ( fuel stabilizers ) only LAST UP TO A YEAR as most even state that on the label.

Last edited by BUP; 10-17-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:55 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

keep in mind as you are starting the engine - with that said --- the poured oil and stabil mix in your fuel filter is instantly changing the ratio of your mix because NEW gas is entering the fuel filter from the gas tank. You have deluted the effective mix especially as soon as the engine starts - fresh gas entering the fuel filter. So think about how you want to do the mix and the procedure thats best for you and your app. If you are in humid climates I would want the best corrosion protection..

The ratio mix is important for lay up especially long timeframe lay ups.... Hope that make sense . For me, I hold the liability when I winterize so I try to do IMO what is best to have the least amount issues during spring commission with marine apps.

Last edited by BUP; 10-17-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

What about just pulling the spark plugs, pulling the coil wire and cranking the engine while spraying fluid in one cylinder at a time.
It is a bit of work but my Formula is a single engine so lots of room.
That would bypass any intake sensor issues.
Only downside side I see is blowing the fluid out the exhaust and spark plug port while moving around the cylinders.

I guess you would still need to disconnect the fuel supply at some place though.

Last edited by nsformula; 10-17-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by nsformula
What about just pulling the spark plugs, pulling the coil wire and cranking the engine while spraying fluid in one cylinder at a time.
It is a bit of work but my Formula is a single engine so lots of room.
That would bypass any intake sensor issues.
Only downside side I see is blowing the fluid out the exhaust and spark plug port while moving around the cylinders.

I guess you would still need to disconnect the fuel supply at some place though.
pulling each spark plugs in most applications is a nightmare...
Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

pulling each spark plugs in most applications is a nightmare...
I realize that, but mine is a single 502 and there is lots of room to work in the engine bay.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

When you guys mix oil with fuel in the separator. How long do you let motor run for? Everyone says until it smokes. My experience with efi motors is they don’t smoke. I’ve seen carb motors smoke which is a tell tale sign...efi not so much.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 415 Likes on 244 Posts

Just did mine a few weeks ago. Did the soup mix in a 3 gallon container. Remove filter and drain. Primed new filter and started up. It ran for a few minutes before you could hear the difference in sound of the engine, ran a little rougher. You can also smell the oil in the exhaust. This was on a 496.