Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Removed Perko flush valve for a plain tee/priming issues. >

Removed Perko flush valve for a plain tee/priming issues.

Notices

Removed Perko flush valve for a plain tee/priming issues.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Removed Perko flush valve for a plain tee/priming issues.

I put on a flush kit a couple seasons ago but that plastic valve has always made me a bit nervous bouncing around the bilge, and someone mentioned that a simple stainless tee works just fine in its place.

So so I replaced the Perko valve with a stainless tee but it seems 90% of the water just goes out the drive. I even convinced myself that I had the hoses swapped and triple checked. I back filled the engine from the thermostat housing with no better luck.

Standard Bravo sea pump setup with V belts turning clockwise looking at the front of the engine.

Anyone else run a similar setup with like experience with it? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Did the perko kit have a check valve? All you need is a ball valve on the drive side of the T to stop flow that way.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Registered

The Perko Union does have a check valve, and it would make sense to need a ball valve downstream of the new tee.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I just put a Tee in mine DIRECTLY before the SWP on my 496HOs, years ago. I did not have a check valve, and I had no issues with the water being sucked into the SWP.
When you turn on the hose, it flushes out the drive.
When you turn the engine on, the water was sucked right into the SWP.

I don't like the check ball because it doesn't allow you to flush your drive and transom assembly. If you were going to install anything, I'd install a ball valve, not a check assembly of any type.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Webstone makes a double valve, I haven't used one

Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I just put a Tee in mine DIRECTLY before the SWP on my 496HOs, years ago. I did not have a check valve, and I had no issues with the water being sucked into the SWP.

I don't like the check ball because it doesn't allow you to flush your drive and transom assembly. If you were going to install anything, I'd install a ball valve, not a check assembly of any type.
My setup exactly and works great. I have a dual pickup outdrive and tape off the water inlets. Water psi pushes water around the tape until startup.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

That’s exactly what I thought I read before but the tee is about 10” back from the pump, so maybe that’s my issue. I love not needing muffs but I hate the check valves/plastic housing of the Perko valve. So much can go wrong there.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have Strainers. Ball valve to pickups. I backflush pickups first then close valve and flush engines.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Sydwayz said.

All your water will will go out the drive with just the watered on. Once you start the motor, the SWP will suck the water into it and then thru the motor. Makes no difference how far away from the SWP inlet the tee is, it still works the same. I had mine between the starter and the SWP since with just the stock Merc inlet hose routing, that’s about the only place to slip a tee in. No valves, no checkballs. Just the cap on the end of the flush hose. If you don’t get that flush hose closed off tight when not used, motor will suck air instead of water under normal summer use. I just had the hose attachment and no problems. You could install a valve in the flush line for added security if you choose.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 11-05-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Registered

That’s how I understood it should work but it didn’t. It is a brand new Hardin stainless pump and impeller fwiw. I’d think that there’d be enough resistance going back through the drive to push water to the pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.