Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Cooling - Hull water pickup >

Cooling - Hull water pickup

Notices

Cooling - Hull water pickup

Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the boat is going slow at present as its on trailer and yet to get christened
I was concerned about the water turbulence in front of the Arneson drive so tucked the water pickup under the boat
Not sure whether this was the right thing to do, given the boat is only 21.5'
However time will tell
cheers
Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Surface drive are further back then your standard drive and props halfway out of the water , not affected so much by "turbulence"
I think you`ll be fighting high water pressure issues and have no way to adjust the pickup/pressure.
Transom pickups you can cut/adjust shorter . Took me 2 weekends to dial mine in ( had to keep cutting it back) and I still have to run blow offs to keep pressure under 20 psi@wot.
I always thought those pickups are more for AC`s , live wells, wake boats, cruisers. I could be wrong.

not a whole lot in the water
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Some wake boats have stepped hulls - single stepped, there is some wake boats 60 mph but most are a solid 45 to 50 all day long. they have no issues with cooling using that grate.

There is many inboards - inboards cabin boats - and so on that use the same set up.

The fastest boat I drove using the grate set up was 77 mph so thats what I know in person. . V hull - 24 degree single modied big block w/ bravo / nose cone.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Registered

ICDEDPPL

can you advise how you were able to control the pressure of water coming through pickup
Out of curiosity how did you have pressure gauge hooked up, and kept lifting the height of the transom mounted pickup until you achieved around 20 psi
Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

The fresh water pick-ups that I am using are adjustable transom mounted ones I got from Hardin Marine , when I got my water pressure to where I wanted it I welded the slide part together so it would not move .
Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 AM
Registered

Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by brett fiddes
ICDEDPPL

can you advise how you were able to control the pressure of water coming through pickup
Out of curiosity how did you have pressure gauge hooked up, and kept lifting the height of the transom mounted pickup until you achieved around 20 psi

The picture I posted is where I started.(pre existing hole thru transom)
Put in water go for a spin , back on trailer , use a band saw to shorten pick up in tiny increments , repeat till pressure was where I wanted it to be.

I have pressure gauges on both engines on dash.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 11-27-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Registered

ICDEDPPL / Green lightning

Im running closed water system, and need sea cooler to cool exchanger etc.

1. where do you tap into to check the water pressure, is it before or after strainer,
2. if anyone has picture of the step up would be good to learn

cheers
Brett
Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Looked at your other thread in the fiberglass section for more pics.
You have the pickup mounted 10 inches from the centerline and 16 inches from the transom.

Probably an optical illusion and probably i'm wrong but if the bottom is flat/flattish w/ an edge
My concern would be aeration in the area of the pickup from water leaving the pad.
How about a picture looking forward at the transom so we can see the pickup and the contours of the bottom
Again, i`m probably way off, just hate to see you have to move the pickup after the boat is all together.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brett fiddes
ICDEDPPL / Green lightning

Im running closed water system, and need sea cooler to cool exchanger etc.

1. where do you tap into to check the water pressure, is it before or after strainer,
2. if anyone has picture of the step up would be good to learn

cheers
Brett
My tap for my pressure gauges is on my engines they are installed in one of the block drain holes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.