Cooling - Hull water pickup

Notices

Cooling - Hull water pickup

Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by brett fiddes
ICDEDPPL / Green lightning

Im running closed water system, and need sea cooler to cool exchanger etc.

1. where do you tap into to check the water pressure, is it before or after strainer,
2. if anyone has picture of the step up would be good to learn

cheers
Brett
In a closed cooling system you want to know how much water pressure the heat ex changer is seeing because the pressure will change when the sea strainer picks up garbage in the water .
Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

if you look in the right hand corner, the barbed fitting is where I take my reading from. it`s on top of the bellhousing trans cooler...
Old 11-30-2018, 04:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dear all
excuse the delay in responding
boat is back on trailer and keel is sitting on trailer bunk, so difficult to actual get a good picture of the underside

Seems I spent too much time inside boat working and didn't take that many pictures of hull, and outside of boat

anyway best pictures of underside, transom and chine attached, some mixed pictures before I repaired transom
The water pickup is 16" from bottom of transom
7" from middle of keel (outside)
The flat section at rear of keel/transom is 11" wide and moves forward approx. 96" and then forward of this keel is a V profile

interested in comments, as many things to do to fit out boat and seems less expensive to do it once, so keen to take on all ideas
Brett

Last edited by brett fiddes; 11-30-2018 at 04:08 AM. Reason: add more pics
Old 11-30-2018, 08:48 AM
Registered

Brett , How fast do you think your boat's top speed will be , the reason I ask is the faster my boat goes more of of my bow climbs out of the water and that might aerate your pick-up
Old 11-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

Just to let you know you have the sea strainer install wrong the intake water always goes in the top port and the engine water comes out the bottom port as to make it more of a gravity feed to the water pump. also that style water pickup doesn't work well at higher speeds because of aeration. and always install the ball valve directly to the pickup you do not want a hose between pickup and valve because if the hose blows you cant shut off the water . Regards Dan
Old 11-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Team Archer green lighning

thanks
refer attached pictures maybe clearer
there is ball valve attached to water pickup on inside of hull, then hose to the strainer
a earlier picture of strainer was attached to the first part of this thread
cant really see how else the strainer will work
The ball valve was changed as can be seen in the picture of the install

as far as speed goes, I'm not sure as boat is not factory made, so no history, I cant even find the guy that built the boat. The chap that I purchased the hull from had the boat sitting in his outboard repair yard for 6 years, and he cant even tell me who he brought the hull from although it was 2200 km away from where we are located
So no history other than use to race with large outboard offshore ski racing in northern Queensland
Done my best to track people down then, then decided to knuckle down and finish the boat as I figure WTF anyway

My idea is in finish the boat, have few motors here, lets put them in and see how hard it runs

Old 11-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Registered

I think you have to push the water into the side and pull it from the bottom , by doing that you will have more room for debris and most of the air in the strainer rises to the top so it won,t get pulled into the motor .
Old 11-30-2018, 03:21 PM
Registered

I think that if you get the arnesons working good you are going to pick up a lot of air in the strainers

Last edited by green lightning; 11-30-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Registered

Old 11-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by green lightning
I think you have to push the water into the side and pull it from the bottom , by doing that you will have more room for debris and most of the air in the strainer rises to the top so it won,t get pulled into the motor .
That's why you plumb them that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.