Mounting a shut off valve between the Bravo and sea pump

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jeff32

Mounting a shut off valve between the Bravo and sea pump

Old 12-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1997 Baja Islander 272
Default Mounting a shut off valve between the Bravo and sea pump

I want to mount a shut off valve between the Bravo for 1, seems like a good safety measure should something fail inside the bilge although that seems rare. 2, Just make it easier to flush and winterize with the garden hose/tee fitting in front of the water pump.

I see plenty of 1-1/4” ball ball valves but is that the best way to do it? How do you mount them as there’s no obvious bracket to hold them?

tia!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boat: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

If you are going to go through all of that, you best bet would be add a sea strainer, so you can bring everything out/up for easy access, including the valve which could be directly mounted to the sea strainer.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
If you are going to go through all of that, you best bet would be add a sea strainer, so you can bring everything out/up for easy access, including the valve which could be directly mounted to the sea strainer.
True. I guess sea strainers are always a good idea.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 12 meter

If you were to do it the way your refeering to I'd just mount the ball valve in the most convenient location and run a T fitting right off the ball valve with a hose just long enough to have access to and cap it off very securely.

The last couple I did was run a 3/8" npt to 6AN and ran a loop up and over the stat housing area with a coupler. Unscrew and lower hoses to let drain. Nice way to check to make sure block not filled with sand etc. If you get a side with not much water coming out put some air into it. This method is just a personal preference but handy. I just used push loc and also had a tee on SB side of block for water temp sensor.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2006 Cobalt 343 and 1974 Cigarette 20

This and a couple SS barbed fittings worked perfectly for me.....

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone...UaAqfTEALw_wcB

Either plumb a flush-out hose to a convenient point or keep it as is, then, in an emergency (if you can access it) throw the valve, open the cap and use the engine to pump out the bilge.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Registered

I currently already have a tee with a flush hose to it right before the pump. I just like the option to shut off the water blowing back out the drive when flushing.

I did toast an engine engine when I sucked up sand and flushed gobbs of that crap out of the block and hoses. If a strainer could prevent that then that’s a good idea. Maybe put an alarm on it for low water pressure should the strainer get plugged?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 2000 triple 500 efi Sonic 45

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
I currently already have a tee with a flush hose to it right before the pump. I just like the option to shut off the water blowing back out the drive when flushing.

I did toast an engine engine when I sucked up sand and flushed gobbs of that crap out of the block and hoses. If a strainer could prevent that then that’s a good idea. Maybe put an alarm on it for low water pressure should the strainer get plugged?
i also already had the T installed on mine for fresh water flush and such. I simply added the ball valve behind the T, or toward the drive if you prefer. Hose is so rigid I did not have to use any bracket of any sort, it stays right in place just like when there was no ball valve! easy install ! I did this so it is easier when running on garden hose, and, if a raw water pump fails ( happened in my previous formula) you cant shut the ball valve, and change the impeller without sinking the boat ! LOL !
mike tkach and getrdunn like this.