Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Best tips and tricks that made your life easier? >

Best tips and tricks that made your life easier?

Notices

Best tips and tricks that made your life easier?

Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Wanted to add about the shift cable bellows and new cables --- 2 tricks to install shift cable bellows - one is use glycerin as lube to install it --- this is what volvo penta uses for their impeller installs and hard to install hoses.

after using the glycerin next - installing the bellows - U pancake the shift cable bellows as small as you can in between your hands. Then install it on the cable - still compressing it like a pancake using your fingers.

IMO if your doing the shift cable bellows it is always wise to do the new cable with it.

And doing the cable is not hard once you make the homemade fish from an old inner core. Made that fish 28 years ago and they free to make --- use the inner core of the cable your are taking out for the fish.
​​​​​
Pics would be helpful, thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

make life easier,,,don't buy a high perf. boat in the first place.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

And doing the cable is not hard once you make the homemade fish from an old inner core. Made that fish 28 years ago and they free to make --- use the inner core of the cable your are taking out for the fish.
That is the exact one I was thinking of sharing!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get married or have children!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

To get any yellow/brown stain off the bottom of the hull caused by dirty lakes or rivers.

Use Muratic acid or acid based toilet bowl cleaner in a cheap 1 gallon pump garden sprayer.
Spray on lightly and rinse off thoroughly. It takes maybe 20 minutes total.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
To get any yellow/brown stain off the bottom of the hull caused by dirty lakes or rivers.

Use Muratic acid or acid based toilet bowl cleaner in a cheap 1 gallon pump garden sprayer.
Spray on lightly and rinse off thoroughly. It takes maybe 20 minutes total.
This. Use the power of chemistry to clean when you can. Elbow grease is exhausting even for a young fit person like me that enjoys it.

A new one for me. Avoid towing boats if you can. A house or condo with a covered slip and lift saves so much pain. I’ve been through a 6.0L, two biminis, an axle assembly, covers, 8 tires, lights, chips in gel, gouges from failing rollers etc etc.

Ive decided two boats is easier than moving one as much as I was. This may be a monumentally bad idea yet, but I haven’t figured that out the hard way yet.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll

This. Use the power of chemistry to clean when you can. Elbow grease is exhausting even for a young fit person like me that enjoys it.

A new one for me. Avoid towing boats if you can. A house or condo with a covered slip and lift saves so much pain. I’ve been through a 6.0L, two biminis, an axle assembly, covers, 8 tires, lights, chips in gel, gouges from failing rollers etc etc.

Ive decided two boats is easier than moving one as much as I was. This may be a monumentally bad idea yet, but I haven’t figured that out the hard way yet.
I'm tired of towing, renting and taking everything I might need to go on a 4 night trip.
Closing on a LOTO condo with 10 x 40 slip in a couple months if all goes according to planned.
I've got plenty of friends with boats here to hit the river if I want to go out.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm tired of towing, renting and taking everything I might need to go on a 4 night trip.
Closing on a LOTO condo with 10 x 40 slip in a couple months if all goes according to planned.
I've got plenty of friends with boats here to hit the river if I want to go out.
That was exactly my plan. Marlago is staying in FL.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, all this time I thought you already had a place. Congrats. Where at?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
make life easier,,,don't buy a high perf. boat in the first place.
What would I do with so much extra time and money???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.