Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Switzer project (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/360148-switzer-project.html)

Captainq 04-15-2019 01:00 PM

Switzer project

Hello new to this site but love boats. Have a couple of questions . I just got this 23' 1990 switzer and the boat had a Mercury bravo set up. It came with a 460 king cobra set up not installed. I also have the boat side harness that goes to all the gages etc. So the questions I have are,

How interchangeable are all the shifting cables cages etc ?
Will the transom adapt/Gimble fit through the same opening were bravo 1 was ?
Is there a site were I can put in the serial number to Cobra drive to find out gear ratio ?

speicher lane 04-15-2019 01:36 PM

FWIW - Cobra Drives are not supported and parts are literally becoming more scarce - Bravo parts everyone can access and the drive will handle decent power for your 23'. How dry is the transom?

Client had the same boat with a 575hp...quite a toy

Captainq 04-15-2019 02:35 PM

Well I checked it over but section on bottom were motor goes is covered up . Its hard for me to tell without drilling holes.
Any ideas on a solid way to check transom ?

Wish I had the money Lane for that 575 lol, that would be fun.

BBYSTWY 04-15-2019 02:52 PM

I would for sure do a bravo setup over a cobra no question for the reasons stated above...you could probably sell your cobra setup and use that money to get a good used bravo if you don't have one.

Quick and dirty...take a hammer and tap on every section of transom you can from the inside...if it sounds like solid wood you should be ok...if it sounds like you're hitting a wet bag of sand its rotten lol

Best way is to get a moisture meter from a local marina, surveryor, or friend and check it out that way....check ALL of the wood areas...floor, transom, strigers, etc.

As for the HP goes...you'd be surprised I bet to see how reasonably you could build a 575 HP big block chevy...just a thought

Good luck!! Post pics!!

Captainq 04-15-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY (Post 4682229)
I would for sure do a bravo setup over a cobra no question for the reasons stated above...you could probably sell your cobra setup and use that money to get a good used bravo if you don't have one.

Quick and dirty...take a hammer and tap on every section of transom you can from the inside...if it sounds like solid wood you should be ok...if it sounds like you're hitting a wet bag of sand its rotten lol

Best way is to get a moisture meter from a local marina, surveryor, or friend and check it out that way....check ALL of the wood areas...floor, transom, strigers, etc.

As for the HP goes...you'd be surprised I bet to see how reasonably you could build a 575 HP big block chevy...just a thought

Good luck!! Post pics!!

Thanks going to do a rott check then post some pics lol

Captainq 04-15-2019 06:22 PM

Will not let me post any pics yet

liberator221 04-15-2019 06:52 PM

My last boat had a king cobra. Hard to find parts and information on. I put 3 cone clutches in it over a period of about 5 - 6 years. Maybe I just didn’t know what I was doing, but the gear set which has the cup on it that the cone mates with are not available. I think that’s why it kept chewing up cones.
Put my last cone clutch in it and traded it in on a boat with a bravo 1.

Captainq 04-15-2019 07:09 PM

Yea that's what I seem to be getting from people is sell that whole set up lol. I have no idea about OMC stuff so I appreciate your thoughts

speicher lane 04-15-2019 09:08 PM

With the black drives (Merc) you have availability and production numbers = reasonable part/ drive cost and a BIG source of service centers that can work on them if needed

BTW - non marring hammer for the tap test on the gel coat.... Brittle Gel doesn't like direct metal contact from Estwing's or a ball-peen + you can definitely hear the wet transom without clubbing the transom to death

liberator221 04-16-2019 06:59 AM

I’m confused, does boat currently have merc/ bravo set up in it, or it has nothing but came with 460/omc for installation?