Plumbing remote oil filter >

Plumbing remote oil filter

Notices

Plumbing remote oil filter

Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Plumbing remote oil filter

I have my small block out for work and I hadn't the time to set up the remote oil filter when I originally installed it. It will have to attach to my EMI exhaust manifolds and risers. I bought their remote install kit, but its for a different setup. Not a huge deal, there are workarounds.
Where I am looking for advice is on the oil hose setup. The factory remote system has hard lines that do not conform to the EMI exhaust, and the lines are not long enough either. They are 1/2" metal to swaged (swegged?) rubber 1/2" id centers. I'm tempted to get some 1/2" oil/fuel hose and cut back the metal lines, flare the metal, clamp it and go. Then I'd just need to support the soft lines along their way.
Would a single or double clamp in front of a flare be a good, leak free seal?
There are aftermarket kits that have easy install stuff too. I'd rather just do this today though, I'm off and time is available.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Registered

My smart buddy says get them swaged.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NHGuy
I'm tempted to get some 1/2" oil/fuel hose and cut back the metal lines, flare the metal, clamp it and go. Then I'd just need to support the soft lines along their way.
Would a single or double clamp in front of a flare be a good, leak free seal?
Should not be a problem as long as a good flare is put on the ends of the 1/2" hard line. No flare and clamp is a big no no. Double clamp as well. Flaring tools can be rented or bought pretty cheap. Make sure to use oil rated hose that can handle 250*+ temps. Some of the cheap crap from the box stores is only rated for 200*.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Registered

I wound up adding to the metal lines with flare fittings. I have an old school flaring bar that I'm sick of from steel boat tubing. I've done my fuel system a twice with 3/8 steel. I had thought this oil line was aluminum but it turned out to be stainless. And 1/2 inch. It's the biggest size my flare tool does. My hands are all tired out and I accidentally put a bend in the flaring tool crank arm. . But at least it's done, and now I can do easier oil changes.

Tomorrow it's run the motor out of the boat so I can check my setup and double torque my shim head gaskets.

Shopping for a more professional flaring set now. The 60's are over.

Last edited by NHGuy; 05-03-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the adapter that goes on the block where an automotive oil filter would go should be threaded so you should be able to do it however you want
Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Registered

Oh the adapter was not an issue. But I could complicate a vanilla ice cream. I ended up going to Sears with my Craftsman flaring kit and getting a warranty replacement. Then everything worked. I actually had worn out my anvil.
It turned out well. I now have my filter in front of the right side riser. It just took too long to make up the lines. With a little luck I'll be floating and boating when the weather warms up in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Wait,,,there is a Sears still around ? Concord,NH still ? I thought they where all closed up.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Yeah, where the hell did you find a sears??????
Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Registered

There's still one in Nashua. Not many else though! I think it survived the cuts because NH has no sales tax and Nashua is still in the outer reaches of Boston. So good sales numbers likely.
Although I have to say it was looking a little sparse in the store.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Registered

You're right, most are gone. But the one in Nashua is still going,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.