Notices

03' 496 mag H. O. Alarm

Old 06-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am at a loss, all gauges are normal it may have seemed to warm up quicker than normal but it is not overheating. Maybe sticky thermostat?
I was showing 27# of water pressure when I tried the WOT pull.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Registered

Is IAC valve on port side of throttle body? I unplugged it to see if it was melted and it wasn’t.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

IAC is in rear of intake. Follow the hose from the throttle body back to the IAC.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Registered

Ok I removed the hose and there are no restrictions. Can the muffler on the iac rot and cause problems? Should I remove the iac and inspect? If so it is mounted to a block that has the hose bib on it. Remove the iac from block or remove whole thing from intake?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Might be a battery voltage issue but here are the warning beeps

Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following cause mine just started doing the EXACT thing, curious what ya find. 02' 496ho, 2 beeps every minute, WOT limited to 4500 rpms, solid beep if too long WOT, once solid beep starts, engine cuts out till I go back to idle, and then I can start again. All guages reading good, all fluids good. Added a K&N arrestor, other then that it's been untouched other then every year it gets oil change, drive fluid change, plugs, and sea pump (kinda anal about maintenance). I'm going to pull the IAC and inspect and clean just for ****s and grins cause it probably needs to be done anyway, but if that doesn't do it, ill be buying a scanner. I'm an automotive tech, so I don't believe in hanging parts to guess-fix the problem anyway, and a scanner for this engine is probably something i should have anyway. Curious to anyone's findings!
Old 06-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Folks, again, the alarm/beep is JUST like the Check Engine Light in your car. It's there to tell you something is wrong. It doesn't tell you WHAT is wrong. The check engine light in your car has 2 stages. Steady on and flashing. So does the alarm/beep. There have been lists posted on here before as to what it COULD be, but you are wasting your time trying to figure it out sans using a Rinda, TechMate, or Diacom software. Seriously, it's the best money you will spend on your boat, especially if you find out a $47 sensor is your issue, that's causing you to wait in line for 6 weeks waiting for your mechanic/marina to fit you in, making you miss the entire summer. Go in with a few local buddies and buy one of the Rinda/scanner options. Or buy it yourself and rent it out.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it helps not on this smartcraft engines to plug off any sensore as then there is 100% any alarm!!!
Engine see when anything is disconected.

I allways add and Ecomonitor/Mercmonitor or Bluetouth Vesselview.This stuff shows alarm with text.
Also i have a Techmate Pro from Rinda in the boat as this small unit can be perfect used at boating to check mistakes and sensor specs!

IAC and Waterpressure are the 2 parts that die anytime nearly all MPI engines.
Get info from Merc!
Michael
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Scan tools are needed but the main problem I see from many is one still needs to the know how to read and know the parameters from the scan tool because fault codes do not show up all the time and even when fault codes do show on a scan --- alot of times they are not real faults as they were created by shape or form reason within or even owner self induce. This a very common. I see this all the time. Especially from loose connections or connection being pulled or however.

Here is a great question and example ---- especially for a 496 --- the engine shuts off ALL BY ITSELF without turning the key off - With that said how many fault codes can one expect to see and what would they be ? And are these real faults or NOT ? Should one spend the time and money to clear up these faults from a scan afterwards.

These are great questions right here to help properly fix ones app correctly and more so the money to be spent instead of being a parts changer who is wasting money and down time on the water..

Last edited by BUP; 06-16-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brembofreak
And it helps not on this smartcraft engines to plug off any sensore as then there is 100% any alarm!!!
Engine see when anything is disconected.

I allways add and Ecomonitor/Mercmonitor or Bluetouth Vesselview.This stuff shows alarm with text.
Also i have a Techmate Pro from Rinda in the boat as this small unit can be perfect used at boating to check mistakes and sensor specs!

IAC and Waterpressure are the 2 parts that die anytime nearly all MPI engines.
Get info from Merc!
Michael
Depends on which IAC we are talking about here and many water pressure sensors fail because of a couple common reasons. Sea strainers can help with water pressure longevity for a jist example

The main problem with the IAC s failures used for the 555 controllers are lack of proper maintenance and in return ends up being computer internal failures. Believe me I know. I get more 555 computers sent to me - its close to 4 to 5 per week. Most are IAC internal failures and most of them are boat owners faulty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.