Notices

03' 496 mag H. O. Alarm

Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 03' 496 mag H. O. Alarm

Last November I ran boat to heat up oil to service and winterize. Before leaving checked fluids and drive lube was very low so I filled it up and went on a 20 mile run, most at WOT. Cold day and got close to soft limiter 5200 on tac, one beep, so I backed off a little. A few miles later alarm starts beeping intermittently but consistently. Checked bilge bottle empty and oil in bilge limped to ramp with the alarm sounding every minute or so. Pissed, two more boats to winterize so I drained water and put cover on for winter.
Gear oil leak was from bottle, changed bottle, pulled drive, serviced drive, changed engine oil and alarm was still going off. I think it was beeping twice every minute or so. I know I had a low gear oil situation but that has been corrected with new bottle. I may have more that one issue, Been searching and reading, going to try unplugging low oil sensor to see if that eliminates alarm.

To test new bottle full would be open circuit, and empty closed circuit? I assume there is no polarity on wires so you couldn't hook them up backwards. I may need to get a scanner, what scanner is recommended.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

To test new bottle full would be open circuit, and empty closed circuit? I assume there is no polarity on wires so you couldn't hook them up backwards.
Correct on both statements

I may need to get a scanner, what scanner is recommended.
Most use Rinda, either Techmate or Diacom software

https://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm
Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gear oil alarm is a solid alarm, it sounds like your hearing a bad IAC valve alarm. But with out plugging in to verify it,s only a suggestion.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You do not need a scan tool to figure out a low drive lube alarm. One can test if the alarm is working properly in 5 seconds and one can test in 5 secs if you have a low drive lube alarm going off.

when the alarm is going off - UNPLUG the drive lube reservoir ( 2 wires ). If the alarm goes away you found the problem. If it does not go away then its not your drive lube bottle.

Also have to add the low drive lube alarm is not a solid alarm.

You need to describe what alarm (s) you have going off. There is 4 different alarms for the black side 555 engines.

Last edited by BUP; 06-04-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try unplugging the reservoir this weekend, boat is at the lake, if it doesn't rain me out this weekend. Also going to check the new reservoir to see if circuit is open or closed ( new reservoir ).
If that doesn't solve the problem looks like I will be looking for a scanner.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

What kind of alarm are you getting? If its solid then its not the lube bottle
Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Registered

The alarm is two beeps every minute. I tried WOT and it went to solid alarm and I could feel it pulling power. Backed off and back to two beeps every minute.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Registered

The reason I thought it was drive lube is last November the lube bottle lost all fluid. I replaced the lube bottle this spring and drive lube is fine but I still have alarm. Seems like engine warms up faster than it did before. I guess whatever is causing alarm went the same time drive bottle ruptured.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Registered

When I first cranked it was a constant beep beep beep beep beep beep for 30 seconds or so then it went to two beeps every minute then I shut it down and recranked and it beeped twice then no beeps for 10 minutes so I took it for a run and the two beeps per minute returned and @ WOT it went to solid alarm and started pulling power and I backed down am
and it went back to two beeps per minute after I backed it down.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I had same problem. Mine was the IAC. Not saying that is your problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.