upgrading throttle/shift controls?

Notices

upgrading throttle/shift controls?

Old 07-11-2019, 07:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

look here: https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...32079/8457/285
its a breakdown of the mercruiser zero effort controls...basicly same as the gaffrig/livorsi stuff
the connectors im talking about are part #40
they thread onto the ends of the cables and then attach to the shift/throttle levers

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
look here:
its a breakdown of the mercruiser zero effort controls...basicly same as the gaffrig/livorsi stuff
the connectors im talking about are part #40
they thread onto the ends of the cables and then attach to the shift/throttle levers
awesome. thanks for the help so far. i just bought a shifter assembly off ebay so once it gets here i'll determine what else i will need. im hoping my cables will be ok with the new shifter. is there a way i can wire up the trim switches so that both drives go up and down with one switch? thanks for all the info so far! i was about to bail on this idea lol.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

yes you can....matter of fact i just found an old gaffrig trim switch that mounts on the throttle stick the other day in the garage.....it involves wiring in some diodes to keep from back feeding the other system but yes it can be done

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Registered

the controls i bought have a trim switch on them. wiring it up shouldnt be too bad. ill update this thread with my progress once everything shows up.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

no, wiring up the switch to the tabs is easy if you have basic electrical skills....its just a simple momentary on/off/on switch with 3 wires.....one wire will have 12V+ and the other two wires each get split into two braches to each tab up/down wires...you just need to install 4 diodes to keep the power from back feeding the other tabs when you are using the standard dash switches so the other tab doesn't operate at the same time when doing so...

Old 06-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Registered

Hi there. I know it's an old thread, but does anyone know if I leave the shift assist spring thing in place when installing livorsi or gaffrig controls? ( I'm replacing the stock mercruiser 3300 assembly (twin handles) to a livorsi 4 handle controller.

It seems like the shift assist wants to force the shifter into neutral. THanks
Old 06-11-2020, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by toofast4uu
Hi there. I know it's an old thread, but does anyone know if I leave the shift assist spring thing in place when installing livorsi or gaffrig controls? ( I'm replacing the stock mercruiser 3300 assembly (twin handles) to a livorsi 4 handle controller.

It seems like the shift assist wants to force the shifter into neutral. THanks
I had the same issue when I installed the Keikerfer controls into my Formula. The new controls don't have a friction adjustment and only rely on the detent balls from moving out of gear. All you have to do is remove the shift assist spring and insert a shorter bolt. You can also use stainless washers as spacers on the anchor pin.