Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
upgrading throttle/shift controls? >

upgrading throttle/shift controls?

Notices

upgrading throttle/shift controls?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading throttle/shift controls?

i just bought a 1988 four winns 261 liberator and im thinking about upgrading the controls to a seperate gaffrig style throttle and shifter set up. the boat currently has the factory mercruiser dual shifter setup which is pretty tight. i am planning on replacing the lower cables at the end of the season. i have been searching all over the internet trying to find a writeup or parts list that would be needed to do this swap, but i cant find anything anywhere. if anyone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. the boat has 5.7 magnum motors with alpha one outdrives. thanks!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I too wanted to switch my controls from a factory Mercury single control to the Hardin Marine dual control. I was unable to hear from anyone that did it. I was told that you would have a lot more control over the boat when docking! Good luck, I will be watching this post for anyone to chime in.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Subscribed
Old 07-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

I had a Formula 233 with alphas and the Gaffrig controls
I may still have them out in the shop somewhere

Last edited by resurrected; 07-05-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When you buy new cables you will need new fittings for each end you can check cpperformance, but any good marine shop should be able to direct in the right direction.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by resurrected
I had a Formula 233 with alphas and the Gaffrig controls
I may still have them out in the shop somewhere
i may be interested if you find them.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

I'll take a look when I'm out in the shop tonight
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

It should be an easy swap...the only thing you may need to do is cut a larger hole in the dash to fit the throttles into. As far as connecting it all.... if you buy new it should have the cable connectors with the throttles...if used you will probably need the connectors..they look like hooks that thread onto the ends of the cables. You can get them from Marc at Mercruiserparts.com its part# 8452181 called a control cable clevis.
The cables usually don't need to be replaced unless they are stretched or binding...or if you just want peace of mind...but they are all for the most part Morse style cables with threaded ends on each side.....you can get the numbers off the side of the cable jacket to buy new ones if need be....and if you want to have an easier time running the cables through the boat.....when you pull them out attach a rope to the end so you have something to guide the new cables back the same route...and you can also get superflex cables so they bend easier and you don't have to fight them on the install.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:07 PM
LS1
Banned

Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
It should be an easy swap...the only thing you may need to do is cut a larger hole in the dash to fit the throttles into. As far as connecting it all.... if you buy new it should have the cable connectors with the throttles...if used you will probably need the connectors..they look like hooks that thread onto the ends of the cables. You can get them from Marc at Mercruiserparts.com its part# 8452181 called a control cable clevis.
The cables usually don't need to be replaced unless they are stretched or binding...or if you just want peace of mind...but they are all for the most part Morse style cables with threaded ends on each side.....you can get the numbers off the side of the cable jacket to buy new ones if need be....and if you want to have an easier time running the cables through the boat.....when you pull them out attach a rope to the end so you have something to guide the new cables back the same route...and you can also get superflex cables so they bend easier and you don't have to fight them on the install.
thanks for the tips. my stock shifter control seems pretty large so i doubt ill have to cut the dash. i may take a peek at the cables going up to the control to get a better idea of what connectors i will need. i checked that website but couldnt find anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.