Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
SBC toBBC exhaust question >

SBC toBBC exhaust question

Notices

SBC toBBC exhaust question

Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

it comes down to the travel of a given prop with the different ration - 1.5:1 travels 1.5 revolutions...1.65 turns a bit more.

At the end of the day you are not going to run the same prop on the same boat as someone with the 1.5:1 as you will be over propped running the same spec (pitch) as the 1.5:1 boat..Play with the merc prop selector website....

Last edited by speicher lane; 07-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by iroc fan
If I went from small block to big block in my 29 Sunsation would I absolutely need to cut new holes in the transom? Or could I have pipes fabbed up out of stainless or Aluminum with bends to compensate? I just don't like the idea of cutting new holes in the transom. I am happy with the 377 I currently have but a big block would be nice when that motor expires. Give me your thoughts.
I went from a small block alpha with 3" exhaust to a BBC Bravo with 4" exhaust.....i did cut my transoms larger. and i offset my hole saw to cut a half moon shaped piece out to enlarge the current holes.
Basically its going to come down to what kind of exhaust you will be running. Mine has the stock 454 manifold and about 18" of rubber exhaust tubing so i can "tweak" the hoses a tiny bit to work....if you had hard pipe exhaust that came right up to the exhaust tips and then only had a small coupler of rubber exhaust hose then i would say you would either need to get the pipes re-bent/welded or drill the exhaust holes in proper places for alignment....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Check with Lightning, they will make custom headers to fit your application for a reasonable price and they perform very well.