Neat LOF with remote inverted filter >

Neat LOF with remote inverted filter

Notices

Neat LOF with remote inverted filter

Old 07-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Neat LOF with remote inverted filter

What's the cleanest way? I'm thinking warm it a bit, suck out the oil, puncture the filter? Catch drips with oil absorbent pads.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Punch a hole on the top center of the filter the night before. All the oil will drain to the pan and you can just take off the filter and put in a plastic bag. Been doing it this way for years and never get a drop in the bilge.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I never cared til I repainted my bilge this year.Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I don’t have this setup, but have read a few times that you just crack loose the filter and give it some time to drain out and it’s spotless.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Why dont they mount the filters hanging down?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I don’t have this setup, but have read a few times that you just crack loose the filter and give it some time to drain out and it’s spotless.
This works perfectly. Just taught that to a friend a couple weeks ago on his 500efi. He was astonished. 20-30 min is all it needed to drain out. Never spilled a drop. I always wondered why use the inverted filter as well, until I learned this method. Now it is a complete non-issue. Frankly, I'd probably spill more oil if the filter was hanging down and couldn't drain out the filter head in this manner.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
This works perfectly. Just taught that to a friend a couple weeks ago on his 500efi. He was astonished. 20-30 min is all it needed to drain out. Never spilled a drop. I always wondered why use the inverted filter as well, until I learned this method. Now it is a complete non-issue. Frankly, I'd probably spill more oil if the filter was hanging down and couldn't drain out the filter head in this manner.
And this is why it is inverted. Some vehicles are doing this now too. Using this method means less used oil on the ground/bilge/waterways.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

IF you use a filter with an anti-drainback valve (which you should, Napa/Wix is my favorite for such), you will need to puncture the filter and the anti-drainback valve.

I took an old screwdriver that was just the right height to match the length of the filter without hitting the threads of the oil filter housing; and ground it down to a moderate point.
Pop that directly into the filter at Top Dead Center, and push it down all the way until it bottoms out. That will provide an air vent so it can drain sans suction slowing it down, and push the anti-drain back valve out of the way. The filter will drain in a few minutes.

My routine was if I was changing the oil, as soon as I back it in the garage from the previous outing, I extend the oil drain tubes out the back and into a 5-gallon can, and also puncture the oil filter as described. Then come perhaps the next evening, and close everything up, replace filter, and refill.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I used Wix filters with the anti-drain back and all I ever did was crack the filter and slowly work it up and rock it around a bit every so often, be patient (no more than a few minutes), and the majority of the oil would be out of the filter to where I could easily rotate it over the base and not spill any. I never liked the idea of puncturing a filter. Shouldn't take overnight to change oil.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

It never "took" an overnight to do so. I just chose to leave it, and come back. It's so easy to do on a boat vs. a vehicle you have to crawl under, put on a lift, etc. I'm kind of AR about getting every last drop of old oil out on my vehicles; to the point where I'll pitch the vehicle so the last pit comes out the drain on the pan. On my racecar, I remove oil cooler fittings, and remove the oil from the cooler and lines. (FWIW, an outdrive fluid pump works great for filling an oil cooler on a racecar.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.