Raylar 540 VP 496 upgrade low oil pressure >

Raylar 540 VP 496 upgrade low oil pressure

Notices

Raylar 540 VP 496 upgrade low oil pressure

Old 11-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Its odd, there are dozens, if not hundreds of this set-up out there running. I'm one of them. I have almost 200 hours on mine. I personally know several guys that have the 540 shortblock and a dozen on OSO with 525's and 600's with no problems.
I believe barrync bought the PSI built 540 shortblock from Raylar. Not a stock 8.1 GM block. As far as the Gen 7 8.1 block, the 10778 oil pump is correct. On the PSI block I don't know. I know a guy who did the PSI Raylar 540 last winter with no problems. I'll ask what pump he used.

No warranty from Raylar?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ

No warranty from Raylar?
Lol no, didn't want to talk either. Pointed me to a book him and a partner are selling on Amazon and go talk to a local shop.

I bought the 540 short block, it's an aftermarket block.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Possible issue was oil drain back into the pan issue - not fast enough or held too much oil in the top end. There was a few 496 s in marine trim that had that problem.

Also what intake manifold gaskets were used here ??
Stock gaskets, dont think it was holding up top. I added an extra quart and nothing changed.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrync
Stock gaskets, dont think it was holding up top. I added an extra quart and nothing changed.
Will add ------ you added a quart of oil but after the damage was already done so of course there would be no change,. When you had grey looking colored oil from your first oil change - that is metallic color meaning basically metals and crushed metals from internal parts coming out with the draining motor oil. The damage was already done.

2 things. I am still thinking with your oil pump out pump the oil BACK to the pan and or the motor oil was too slow to drain back down fast enough to the pan.

Next before you even started the engine - what oil did you use and did you oil prime the engine COMPLETELY just before your first engine start up ? If so did you verify oil all the way to the valve train and draining back down. Hopefully you correctly and completely oil primed the engine just before your first start up. Had to ask

Last edited by BUP; 11-26-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I had near about forgot about this post.

Here us the latest, engine has been with the local machine shop for about 4 months now, cause they're slower than molasses, but do good work. What ended up being the course of action was basically a rebuild because the cam and crank bearing were in poor shape. Crank got polished and new cam is being put it, the last thing I will ever buy from Raylar. No damage to the pistons or cylinder walls. Oiling system has been a hurdle, they had to call a big block oil pump guru in Illinois for advice on the correct oil pump to feed the overkill oiling system, basically turned into a pump that might be found on a 600-700 CID monster truck engine...... Now they said I could has blocked off the piston cooling jets, but I like the idea of extra cooling.

So in the end, Raylar sold me an out of tolerance piece of crap that I should have had built locally from the start. This learning adventure has cost me an additional 3000, 500 alone in an oil pump. Should be back in the boat soon. All that said, my local builder is saying now I should easily see 1000hrs or better out of this block, hopefully by then I'm on to a bigger boat.
what oil pump did you get,I am currently building one of these exact same engines
Old 11-27-2019, 05:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Possible issue was oil drain back into the pan issue - not fast enough or held too much oil in the top end. There was a few 496 s in marine trim that had that problem.

Also what intake manifold gaskets were used here ??
what intake manifold gaskets should be used?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I believe barrync bought the PSI built 540 shortblock from Raylar. Not a stock 8.1 GM block. As far as the Gen 7 8.1 block, the 10778 oil pump is correct. On the PSI block I don't know. I know a guy who did the PSI Raylar 540 last winter with no problems. I'll ask what pump he used.

No warranty from Raylar?
seems like an issue with the oil pump caused the problem

Quote from other site
New, high volume pump, not stock, was machined so tight that the lid sided the gears when he put it back together. It spun freely prior to original install, but he is saying it probably didn't have perfect seal and wasn't pumping like it was supposed to at low rpm

Last edited by AusScarab29; 11-27-2019 at 06:39 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-27-2019, 06:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kicker30
https://www.carolinaclassicboatowner...troubles/page3

Go to about post 90, thats roughly when he started this thread.
Interesting read,thanks
Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Registered

Oil pump Bbc140xv vern shollmann 563 381 2416
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Oil pump Bbc140xv vern shollmann 563 381 2416
Verne Schumann ?
From here ? Schumann Oil Pumps | High Performance Oil Pumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.