New Arco 65050 alternator not charging >

New Arco 65050 alternator not charging

Notices

New Arco 65050 alternator not charging

Old 08-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Why do you think going from a 120 amp to a 70 is going to work ? did you tell Arco you were trying to charge 3 batteries,
Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

So long as the draw of all 3 bats is not more then 70 amps, the ALT will charge all bats. The only issue is how long it will take. Start bats take a hit when motor is first started but after that the motor doesn't use that much.

I don't see it being the belt, I think its a wiring issue. A voltmeter will tell you what the issue is.

With motor not running, measure the post on the ALT as seen in the pic. Only one which will turn ON/OFF is the purple wire

Orange comes from the starter post thru a 90 amp fuse
Purple is Key ON
Red/Purple comes from the 50 amp breaker
Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Why do you think going from a 120 amp to a 70 is going to work ? did you tell Arco you were trying to charge 3 batteries,
The 120a is a car unit that came on the boat. I switched that out to a 75a DB marine unit that corroded into a puddle of rust. The Arco vendor suggested this one. Even with the batteries disconnected I知 only getting 11.5 out of it.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

The 120a is a car unit that came on the boat. I switched that out to a 75a DB marine unit that corroded into a puddle of rust. The Arco vendor suggested this one. Even with the batteries disconnected I知 only getting 11.5 out of it.
Then its defective or you have it hooked up wrong
Old 08-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pointers, AllDodge. A quick check showed that I had it hooked up correctly.

I may have found the issue(s). The boat is in a remote storage and a pain to work on especially with a hose. When I checked the output I believe that Arco May have been correct that the brand new belts were slipping but I had already yanked it off. When I put it back on it behaves a little differently but still not charging well.

So as I was yanking it off again the positive ring connector came with it. It looks as though there may have only been 2 or 3 strands still intact. Enough to pass a continuity test but effectively charging three batteries with a 22gauge wire. I had not rechecked the output since the first time as it痴 such a pain where it is located.

All of the batteries are topped off via a charger and everything buttoned up and hopeful that was the issue. I知 not sure when I値l get to put it to practice though yet.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Registered

Yup, those were the issues. Ham fisted shade tree hack with 20 year old wires. Steady 13.6 at a blip over idle. Thanks for the help as it all helped.