Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Quickfuel (like Holley) power valve >

Quickfuel (like Holley) power valve

Notices

Quickfuel (like Holley) power valve

Old 08-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

My quick fuel is 4 bolts to pull bowl and the jets are right there. Extremely simple. I can change all 4 jets on both carbs in about 15 mins.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:42 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Before non stick gaskets, and nylon float bowl screw gaskets, sure Holley's where a pain. Once those came out, whole nother ball game. 15 mins like Crude Intentions mentioned.

I also have a remote fuel pump with alligator clips and various fittings for carbs so I can fill them full of fuel before starting for first time when new or rebuilt or etc. Older Holleys you can fill thru float bowl sight screw with small squirt bottle. With J vents you can hook small hose to the squeeze bottle too. All depends on what you want to make. Non marine carbs you can fill thru vent holes of course. If your engine has an electric pump, this whole paragraph is moot.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

power valves in a marine application is useless. Why would you want a bunch of unmetered fuel to suddenly dump at some predermined time?
Get the jetting right and you`ll have a way better fuel curve and don`t have to worry about blowing out powervalves .
Last backfire I blew out the intake gasket so this time...:

Old 08-28-2019, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Trust me I hear what you are saying Thunder. Edel's have their draw backs. Float adjustment is one thing but if you are not changing fuel pressures all the time it should be a set and forget. I have a motor that sits at 12 degrees and the Edel has no issues. From when I was studying up on Holley's when I changed out fuel pumps both Edel and Holley say that the bowls and floats are designed so they can be at angles (off roaders and such) and not change the fuel level from where it's been set at when flat.
I also know what its like to lean over a motor to install jets. You can always take the carb off like you have to with Holley then it would be right there. You also don't have to dump the bowl of fuel like Holley because you only suck out so much out of the bowls before you have to take them off and dump what's left on the intake.
As for flow I have herd the same. I also have herd that most over carb their motors but it's one reason I converted their 800's to marine being they don't offer a Marine 800.
Again I do get that you can change Holley a 1000 ways but how many of us are doing that? Most want the 98% we can get out of the box and leave the last 2% to who wants to fool with endless cams, power valves and jets. You can also do tweaks to a Edelbrock with step up springs, needles and jets. IMHO it all comes down to what you know and feel better with.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the power valve ads fuel when the vacuum signal is low due to throttle blades opening,the engine does not need extra fuel at crusing speed but does need the extra fuel when the throttle blades are opened up.imo the holley is the most tuneable of all the carb brands .today the edelbrock carbs are popular due to pricing and after you figure it out they also are very tuneable.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Before non stick gaskets, and nylon float bowl screw gaskets, sure Holley's where a pain. Once those came out, whole nother ball game. 15 mins like Crude Intentions mentioned.

I also have a remote fuel pump with alligator clips and various fittings for carbs so I can fill them full of fuel before starting for first time when new or rebuilt or etc. Older Holleys you can fill thru float bowl sight screw with small squirt bottle. With J vents you can hook small hose to the squeeze bottle too. All depends on what you want to make. Non marine carbs you can fill thru vent holes of course. If your engine has an electric pump, this whole paragraph is moot.
i just remove one of the top bowl screws and squirt some fuel through the hole into the bowl,then pump the accelerator pump arm until the squirter if moving fuel.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The largest jets im seeing for the edelbrocks is a .119 orifice.

The 750cfm i have came with .110, and .107 jets stock Im at .110, and .113, on a mild 468, and its still lean at wot. If i was keeping it, id prob have to install the largest .119 jets to get an acceptable wot air fuel ratio. Out of the box, it probably would have had wot afrs in the 14 or 15 range. Cruising wise, its pretty decent now after some tuning.

instead of a power valve, they use metering rods and step up springs. Vacuum drops, metering rods lift out of the jet, and enrichment takes place. Same concept, just different way of getting it done.

I guess they are both good carbs in their own way. I myself, wouldnt go taking a 4150 style holley off to put a carter in its place anytime soon.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly off topic.....but the secondary fuel booster tube can have way too small of an orriface on the end...it can end up being the main restriction on an edelbrock/carter..not the jet.

This link simply contains a picture to show what Im talking about.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...i-booster.html
Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The largest jets im seeing for the edelbrocks is a .119 orifice.

The 750cfm i have came with .110, and .107 jets stock Im at .110, and .113, on a mild 468, and its still lean at wot. If i was keeping it, id prob have to install the largest .119 jets to get an acceptable wot air fuel ratio. Out of the box, it probably would have had wot afrs in the 14 or 15 range. Cruising wise, its pretty decent now after some tuning.

instead of a power valve, they use metering rods and step up springs. Vacuum drops, metering rods lift out of the jet, and enrichment takes place. Same concept, just different way of getting it done.

I guess they are both good carbs in their own way. I myself, wouldnt go taking a 4150 style holley off to put a carter in its place anytime soon.
time to break out some drill bits,,any hole size you want.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

all this talk about jetting and fuel leakage.

I'll just push a few keys on a keyboard and dial my fuel in,,fuel injection baby,all the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.