Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Pitting in gears from rust, run em or toss em? >

Pitting in gears from rust, run em or toss em?

Notices

Pitting in gears from rust, run em or toss em?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pitting in gears from rust, run em or toss em?

I recently picked up a parts boat I am using to repower my stinger. The boat sat for at least 10 years outside with no hatch on it, the sun destroyed the lube bottles and water got into one of the bravo drives. The water sunk to the bottom and cracked the lower wide open so it lost most all of the lube. I have pulled the upper apart, it has less damage than I though it would but I have some rust on the gears. I have had the gears soaking in evaporust for a few days now and they have cleaned up well BUT there is some pitting on a few of the teeth. I know that I had a pretty gnarly pit on a crank a few years back that I went ahead and ran without issues. Are gears the same deal? I am hoping to use this for a spare drive
Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

your asking for trouble if you use them , bravo gears have problems with pitting anyways , without help from water , Toss them.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

Is it possible the pitting was from use and not the oxidation?

Once pitting sets in, where there is material fusing transfer, the gears are on their last life.

So probably not worth the time to instal, unless you needed an emergency spare for some reason.