New to the forum just introducing my self >

New to the forum just introducing my self

Notices

New to the forum just introducing my self

Old 10-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the forum just introducing my self

Hello My name is Alex and am new here, I have an immaculate 1990 Checkmate maxxim 229 with the 502 mag set up. Many questions to ask on here, boat runs high 60s to low 70s depending on weather and lake traffic. The engine uses no oil, it has 544 hours on it, I do not know if the engine is completely original and if it has ever been out for any type of repair. What types of mechanical things should I be looking into doing as time goes on, the gel coat, interior and cubby are flawless. Boat starts and runs amazing, has the bravo 1 drive with a 1:36/1 gear in it. Just a young booster looking to keep this gem up as well as input for the future.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the cult !!!

We have a 2000 Cobalt 226 with a 7.4MPI and Bravo 3 outdrive. At the end of the 2019 season we have 661 hours on the clock. The engine has been flawless. Starts, runs, idles etc., smooth as glass. Best speed has been 63.5 in cool weather and a very slight chop. I'm not a mechanic so take this for what it is. I'm anal about maintenance on our boat/engine. I do exactly what the owners manual says to do - Once a year I change the oil and all the filters and service the outdrive. We are not afraid to run the boat but we don't abuse it. I have this moto - if it ain't broke don't fix it. If there is one thing that I do is that in the beginning of the season - I pour in 2 cans of Seafoam in the fuel (50 gallons). I have never had a fuel problem. Every other tank fill I wash the air intake-- usually is clean - but once again I'm anal. Other than the routine stuffs that's it.

All the best

3pointstar
Old 10-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the group. Build up your posts and then let’s see some pictures of it!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Hi!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Registered

I have been looking into adding a performer air gap intake to the 502 and wondering what prop would also be a good choice. Would changing the valve springs be a good idea, the cam only has .510” of lift per mercury specs. It does sound quite aggressive at idle but definitely not an HP500 by any means. Would changing out the quadrajet to a Holley be worth it as well?? We service the drive with only mercruiser spec oil as well.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Welcome! I started with Checkmate as my first powerboat. They are solid boats and fun to drive, enjoy! I still have a Checkmate Starfire in my garage that needs some restoration and will be used as a local river runner.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Registered

I have always wanted a 22-24 foot checkmate I also looked at Scarabs, and a few other brands it just seemed to me Checkmate had to me the better boat in that particular size. We have the pond damn resvoirs down here and a bigger boat is kinda pointless.. We can be clear to the other end of Tims Ford in 15 min. Best we have gotten out of her is 72 and that was with a borrowed 3 blade 23p mirage.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Welcome
My buddy has 2 Checkmates, 21 ft with 383, 8 inch extension box and Alpha drive. Also has blue metal flake paint and custom interior. Doesn't get used very often sits in the garage undercover. The other is a 17 or 18 ft with an outboard and custom interior. The outboard hasn't been on the water in maybe 15 years, and always under cover.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the site,,,,

lots of good info here..

dont be afraid to ask what ever...

if i am not sure , i will ask for help.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Registered

The boat came with two props, what appears to be a 3 blade 23p Predator (out of business Michigan Prop manufacturer correct me if I am wrong) and a clue less Sutton 4 blade. The engine pulls only to about 4200 rpm with the 4 blade and blows out real bad on take off. I need a good place to start and what to try first to get this boat happy.. I think mid to low 70s are indeed capable. The Sutton will get me to 65mph but I do not know the pitch of it and it showing large amounts of wear as well.. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.