Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Trailer Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/367594-trailer-help.html)

kinetic 07-20-2020 08:34 PM

Trailer Help

I have a vintage calkins trailer that was used with my 1978 WellCraft Nova for many years.

The trailer is twin axle with a Hydraulic surge brake system that is completely nonfunctional

I am unable to identify the type of axles on the trailer as it's had many layers of paint over the years.

I would like to ditch the surge break system and replace it with an electric brake system.
or potentially completely rebuild the surge break system. ("looking for recommendations") as I am new to this.

I cannot decipher the marking on my drums

They are Max In diam of 12.09 so i'm assuming 12inch drums.

Internet searches bring up 12x2inch drums which i'm not sure what the 2inch is refering to.

The wheels are a bolt pattern of 6x5.5

Here are some pictures i took that may or may not be of any use.

Overall i'm trying to figure out what I need to replace these parts/upgrade and what are people suggestions for restoring this trailer to be reliable and safe to use.

Thanks everyone

I unfortunately cannot upload pictures yet.

Smoke eater 07-20-2020 08:37 PM

If your looking to go eoh I would recommend Kodiak setup. I just redid my trailer. One axle had the disc setup already and my second axle had a drum setup. I decided to go disc on all axles and could r be happier with the setup. I have a brake rite eoh setup on the trailer already. So far have been happy. Hope this is helpful

kinetic 07-20-2020 08:39 PM

I've looked briefly at eoh and i've also looked at the kodiak disc brake setup i'm just lost at being able to identify what exactly are the specs of my axles to be able to order anything.

I wish i could post pictures to help sadly i've just been a lurker for years.

Smoke eater 07-20-2020 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kinetic (Post 4749135)
I've looked briefly at eoh and i've also looked at the kodiak disc brake setup i'm just lost at being able to identify what exactly are the specs of my axles to be able to order anything.

I wish i could post pictures to help sadly i've just been a lurker for years.

just replay a couple of words at a time to get your post count up. Then post your pics.

kinetic 07-20-2020 08:41 PM

it seems i can only reply if some one else had responded lol.. ..

kinetic 07-20-2020 08:42 PM

test

Smoke eater 07-20-2020 08:42 PM

Oh ok.

kinetic 07-20-2020 08:43 PM

Ignore my spam please can post every 30 seconds

Smoke eater 07-20-2020 08:43 PM

How long have you owned the boat

kinetic 07-20-2020 08:43 PM

More SPAM