Water Pressure Gauge quesiton >

Water Pressure Gauge quesiton

Notices

Water Pressure Gauge quesiton

Old 12-06-2021, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
Just did new impellers (and mechanical fuel pumps) and test ran the boat. I only ran her to about 2,500-3,000 rpm (50 mph) and saw solid 10-12 psi. I guess I am going to call this my baseline. I kinda expected higher pressures but water temp stayed stable ~140-150F (with 140 thermostats).
Thank you for posting the results.

I am not sure why mine seems to run so low pressure?

The engine is in for an inspection/potential full rebuild at the moment, so hopefully It gets closer to normal readings after complete. So far, there seems to be a couple things that don't seem right with the new to me engine.

No Bravotits to be seen (corrosion of the water intake hole on the out drive) It's sitting on a stand in my garage and is a clean, fresh water OD.

The intake hose was replaced last year along with new gimble bearing and reverse cable.

New mercruiser impeller and housing installed.

New Faria Beade pressure gauge installed at thermostat housing using 1/8" nylon hose. (Don't know if length plays a role? I have about 25' of hose to reach the gauge in the dash)

Did find out the thermostat was missing from the engine.

The thermostat housing is not the one that came stock.

I am using the circulation pump

You can't see the water pressure fitting mounted on the port side of the thermostat housing. (the hose blocks the view) but you can see the black hose running along the valve cover for it.

Last edited by xlint89; 12-06-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
Is the preferred method of attaching the water pressure gauge through the 47440 thermostat housing or directly to the Hardin pump?
So, I think I found the correct port on my thermostat...agreed? What size adapter should I use?

I have some Gaffrig water pressure gauges that came with these connection adapters...which are too small to go directly into the thermostat.

I did notice that my Hardin water pumps seem to have a unused port already (that looks like it fits one of the connectors/adapters I have):
That stainless button head bolt on the hardin pump looks to be the oil drain for the fuel/water pump. If you haven't changed the oil in there before, it might be a good idea to do so. Its such a small amount of fluid I like to do it annually for peace of mind.

Last edited by Ryanw10; 12-07-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by xlint89
Thank you for posting the results.

I am not sure why mine seems to run so low pressure?

The engine is in for an inspection/potential full rebuild at the moment, so hopefully It gets closer to normal readings after complete. So far, there seems to be a couple things that don't seem right with the new to me engine.

No Bravotits to be seen (corrosion of the water intake hole on the out drive) It's sitting on a stand in my garage and is a clean, fresh water OD.

The intake hose was replaced last year along with new gimble bearing and reverse cable.

New mercruiser impeller and housing installed.

New Faria Beade pressure gauge installed at thermostat housing using 1/8" nylon hose. (Don't know if length plays a role? I have about 25' of hose to reach the gauge in the dash)

Did find out the thermostat was missing from the engine.

The thermostat housing is not the one that came stock.

I am using the circulation pump

You can't see the water pressure fitting mounted on the port side of the thermostat housing. (the hose blocks the view) but you can see the black hose running along the valve cover for it.
Your housing is the same as mine and have different exhaust, but my fitting is at the block drain
Old 12-07-2021, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanw10
That stainless button head bolt on the hardin pump looks to be the oil drain for the fuel/water pump. If you haven't changed the oil in there before, it might be a good idea to do so. Its such a small amount of fluid I like to do it annually for peace of mind.
I inspected and found gear oil diluted with fuel on one so I changed both fuel pumps...good call!
Old 12-07-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Your housing is the same as mine and have different exhaust, but my fitting is at the block drain
I believe someone advised me that this (thermostat) location provided easy access and a decent monitoring of "the pressure the engine is seeing".
Also, I have a lot of extra hose on a 33 foot boat so I am sure that I have 20'-25' of hose...as long as it is not flexing (teflon) or leaking the pressure should be accurate.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:04 AM
Registered

Length of hose should not effect the reading
Old 12-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Length of hose should not effect the reading
Should add so long as the hose (tubing) is 1/8 OD
Old 12-07-2021, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

FYI for anyone what circled in red port is for on your Hardin pump:

625-4221 INSTALLED (cpperformance.com)

CP Performance - Gen 5/6 Sea Pump Vent Equalizer

The following users liked this post:
TomZ (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
FYI for anyone what circled in red port is for on your Hardin pump:

625-4221 INSTALLED (cpperformance.com)

CP Performance - Gen 5/6 Sea Pump Vent Equalizer
Thanks! I found some fuel in my lube (in my fuel pump)...would this vent system prevent/help a diaphragm failure?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I replaced one of my OE seawater pumps and pulley on my 32 Fever with the Hardin one and the vent kit. I already had the stainless housings. All very nice pieces BTW. I sold the boat before I could put more than 15 minutes on the new pump and vent kit to know if it helped anything. In my mind for the price of the kit (which is a few fittings and hose) if it gave me even just one more season before a failure it's well worth it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.