Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Baja 272/502 mpi new to me (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/369946-baja-272-502-mpi-new-me.html)

carnutsx2 01-08-2021 06:19 AM

Baja 272/502 mpi new to me

Introducing myself and asking some questions for clarification after searching.

as luck would have it i was surfing through Craigslist seeing if ther was anything i couldn't live without. Fortunately/unfortunately i found a 1995 Baja 272 with a no running 502, being not very smart i purchased said project. Not one to just rebuild the 502 as both head gaskets were blown and they failed to de water the motor.
my plan is a stockis rebuild with a mild cam, some mild porting the intake and heads , computer tune and 496ho exhaust. From what I've read the exhaust is fairly Straightforward and will work with my "captins call" Exhaust.
3 questions
1 other than dealing with making brackets what am I missing
2 is this worth the headache for more hp
3 best source for exhaust parts new or used

Thanks in advance

F-2 Speedy 01-08-2021 08:57 AM

Id try to find a low hour drop in ready 502 mag mpi and go boat,

carnutsx2 01-08-2021 09:58 AM

Thanks, I originally was looking for just that but I have a machine shop that has built several motors for me in the past. My problem is I can't put things back to stock. If the boat ran 25mph and I've got to rebuild it I would like 26mph when I'm done.

F-2 Speedy 01-08-2021 12:19 PM

have you had the block magna fluxed, de water the engine ? didnt drain or winterize..its really a waist of money to try and port those 088 or what ever heads

xlint89 01-08-2021 10:43 PM

One of the concerns I'm having with building a stock 502 is the oil cooling. I've read a number of threads stating the oil cooler is just adequate enough for the 415 HP it produces. Not to mention the oil hoses are pretty small in diameter.

When Merc built the 500HP (same size 502) they completely redid the oil cooling. Much larger oil cooler and larger diameter oil hoses. So keep that in mind

carnutsx2 01-08-2021 11:41 PM

The previous owner had a bad mechanic work on it swapping the heads and it blew head gaskets on both banks- never seen it before bot it was blown between each bore .
after spending the day doing research i think its going back stock, maybe a slightly hotter cam. Ill do some pocket porting just because I've got free time and some say not very smart

carnutsx2 01-09-2021 12:13 AM

The previous owner had a bad mechanic work on it swapping the heads and it blew head gaskets on both banks- never seen it before bot it was blown between each bore .
after spending the day doing research i think its going back stock, maybe a slightly hotter cam. Ill do some pocket porting just because I've got free time and some say not very smart
I'm still in the hunt for 496 ho exhaust

Baja Rooster 01-10-2021 12:26 AM

Fun boat! The factory package is pretty tough to beat and small mods really aren’t worth the trouble. Did the ‘95 have MPI already? Bumping up 50hp will give you a 2 maybe 3 mph gain and $1000 in new oil cooler and plumbing and then the EFI mapping won’t be up to snuff, and then you’ll need a different $600 prop. It never ends once you stray from factory. But, some good exhaust manifolds and dumping the stock Corsa exhaust tips really give you some good bang for the buck.

carnutsx2 01-11-2021 09:46 PM

Its got MPI . I'm very familiar with the concept of scope creap but thats hot rodding.
Last night I drove the neighbors crazy running the pressure washer until after dark but the bilge is clean. This morning I started to pull the bottom end apart , everything was covered in a light chocolate milk shake or rust. The only surprise was its a gen 4 502 so its a flat tappet hydraulic cam , according to Delta Cam the local cam grinder says the cam is .507.505 lift 223 223 duration on a 116 lob sep.
now on the hunt for 496 manifolds.... so if anyone knows of a pair hit me up .
Tomorrow ill start packing stuff up for the machine shop and clean up the grease spot in the garage.

carnutsx2 01-13-2021 07:01 PM

Well I Just pulled the trigger on a Comp roller retrofit kit, the extreme marine 218/224 @.050 and .510/.510" lift , I have a set of 496 exhaust to replace the logs that came on it and Ill put an O2 sensor in the so I can have a reasonable input for the tuner. It came with 1.7/1 no name roller rockers . With a fresh crank , resized rods, new bolts and forged pistons it should be good. The cam is a little smaller than I wanted but I would rather have too little than too much cam.