Compression fitting-water pressure gauge >

Compression fitting-water pressure gauge

Notices

Compression fitting-water pressure gauge

Old 11-19-2021, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Compression fitting-water pressure gauge

Okay, so I got some very nice used Gaffrig water pressure gauges from a member (thanks) and I got a water pressure connection kit from Gaffrig. The kit has a fitting different from the compression "donut" (ferrule) I am used to BUT I figured it would just tighten up under compression. It did not???
I put it together as seen in the picture and tightened it down real tight (but not enough to cause any damage...maybe not enough???) and the hose (that came with the kit) slipped right out of the connection.
Gaffrig is closed until Monday...any first hand experience/suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by F14A water jet; 11-19-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
Okay, so I got some very nice used Gaffrig water pressure gauges from a member (thanks) and I got a water pressure connection kit from Gaffrig. The kit has a fitting different from the compression "donut" (ferrule) I am used to BUT I figured it would just tighten up under compression. It did not???
I put it together as seen in the picture and tightened it down real tight (but not enough to cause any damage...maybe not enough???) and the hose (that came with the kit) slipped right out of the connection.
Thanks,
Tom
Okay, I just bit the bullet and cranked them down...installed, no leaks! :-)
I'm only seeing ~1-2 psi at idle (or just off idle) on the garden hose...is that "normal" for a big block with Hardin water pumps? When I bump it up off idle, I can see the pressure needle move in a positive direction but still not much than 2-3 psi.
Normal?
Old 11-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Yes, 1 to 2 is fine at idle on a hose. The hose cannot supply the same amount or water the pump can pump. In the water with new impeller and cold can get around 5, and after warmed up will be a bit less
Old 11-19-2021, 02:13 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Your probably not tightening it down far enough. If there are no witness marks on the hose then its not making enough contact. Ive seen ferrules like that but they usually go deep inside the body of the fitting and mate to a matching face. I had to look up the name and i believe they are Valco style fittings.
Im used to seeing the barrel/donut type ferrules for typical compression fittings. I just did a home humidifier and it had a compression fitting for the cold water supply....i cranked it down to what i thought was tight enough but it still seeped....kept tightening till it stopped and all is good

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-19-2021, 02:13 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

guess i took too long to look up the name lol

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wally:
AllDodge (11-19-2021), flashgordon (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 02:36 PM
Registered

THANKS ALL...I love this forum!
Old 11-22-2021, 12:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have always just used the standard round compression fittings from the plumbing section at the hardware store.
As long as the needle moves any amount at idle, you are fine.

You're welcome on the gauges
Old 11-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I have always just used the standard round compression fittings from the plumbing section at the hardware store.
As long as the needle moves any amount at idle, you are fine.

You're welcome on the gauges
They look good and thanks (to you and all) for the advise/support.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (11-23-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 11:42 AM
Registered

Finally pictures (with trim rings, etc...)

The following 4 users liked this post by F14A water jet:
bencini231 (12-08-2021), Griff (12-09-2021), smashm (12-08-2021), the deep (12-08-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
Thanks,
Tom
You need the little metal tube the goes in the plastic line. Plastic line will compress without the insert.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-1-4-in-...ing/1000505345
It is the little tube sticking out. Not needed with copper line but needed with poly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.