Old school Donzi >

Old school Donzi

Notices

Old school Donzi

Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school Donzi

Wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the hull number? I have a 1966 18' donzi with triple hatch engine cover and Holman Moody out drive. Trying to get more info on the boat.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try looking behind the dash ... might be marked there by a marker pen. Some off the hardware might have #s etched on them.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Behind the dash, up by the forward lifting ring are a coupe of common locations. if it has the original drive/engine we may be able to ID it that way..
Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Registered

Default old school donzi

I will check behind the dash today. I know the motor is not original because it has a small block chevy in the boat now. I dont know about the drive. I'm trying to get all the info before I start the restoration.Thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered

also check by the backing plate for the bow ring it will be hand written in black marker your number will be something like 18- XXX keep in mind if any thing was added to the dash outside of the original dash plate speedo or depth finder stereo some of the numbers might be missing or cut out

sometimes there was a foil tag on the backseat bulkhead

how many pieces is your engine hatch??

what drive is it an eaton or a volvo??

pics would help
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Registered

I checked all behind the dash this morning. Unfortunately it has had glass work done prior covering the original glass. I also checked the bow area under the deck, could find no visible markings. I will check behind the seat tomorrow. As for the hatch it is three pieces. The boat presently has the Holman Moody volvo drive but I believe it was originally an Eaton. I will try to get some pics later. Any other help greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

a triple hatch barrelback yes it is an early 18 probably within the 100 or so made it probably came with a 289 interceptor and an eaton drive and when more HP and more reliable engine drive combos came out like the holman moody volvo combo the boat was repowered ( my 67 16 had this done to it)

what color is the boat??? all the triple hatch barrelbacks I have seen ( 3 ) have been all lucan red with a white stripe
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

The boat is bright orange right now but I believe it was red originally. I believe it would have been a 289 from what I can tell. The original exhaust was wide and lower than the current. All pictures I have seen with the Ford set up are like this. I figure the Eaton drive was probably replaced with the Holman Moody years ago due to lack of parts for the Eaton.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

the original eatons were not strong at all and would blow apart or shear the pin and twist off the boat yes the 289 had low wide exhaust exits the 351w had higher tighter exhaust exits

sounds like a great project, if you want some ideas on an orange barrelback check out Scott Pearson's pumpkin on
www.lgdonziclassic.com

what volvo drive is it?? there should be a serial number riveted to the top of the drive that can give us some info as well on when it might have been repowered
Old 12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

Default old school donzi

I will check for the serial number tomorrow. Wondering how rare are the triple hatch boats. I have not found any pictures of one other than brochure info?? I also am looking for someone who might be able to refurbish a steering wheel from a 67 16 ski sport with the center prop logo. Any ideas??

Quick Reply: Old school Donzi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.