Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Donzi (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/donzi-34/)
-   -   Test result Formula,Fountain,Donzi why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/donzi/175009-test-result-formula-fountain-donzi-why.html)

Monaco20 12-09-2007 04:14 PM

Test result Formula,Fountain,Donzi why?

Hi

After reading several different articles in magazines and
at the internet. I have following question: How come that
the Formula 353 Fastech with twin 500 efis has top speed
of 74,4 mph. The Fountain 35 lightning with twin 525 efis do
101 mph. The Donzi 38ZR with twin 525 efis do 91 mph.???
The Formula and Fountain has aprox the same weight 8600
The Donzi weight is 9500. Why this enormous speed difference?? I know that the Formula has alltoghter 50 hp
less than the two other boats.

Any comments?

Shanghied Again 12-09-2007 04:36 PM

lets Clear the air, The Donzi 35 ZR does not weigh 9500lbs she weighs 7800lbs and is on a conventional side by side set up with 2 steps, The Fountain 35 Lightning weighs very close to the Donzi and with convetional side by side set up will run 88-90 MPH the 35 Fountain you are reffering to is a lighter lay-up and Staggered Engines that changes the center of gravity of a boat and the numbers are impressive speed for a 35..
The Formula is the heaviest out of the 2 but you are showing the boat with 500s that only produced 470hp each a hard comaparision to 525s the Formula 35 FatTech runs in the 80s with 525s but has a complete different running platform and she is also the heaviest of all the boats.

Monaco20 12-09-2007 06:04 PM

Hi If you read carefully I am not talking about the Donzi 35ZR
but 38ZR and the weight is 9500 (Test from PowerboatMagazine) *S*

spilman 12-09-2007 09:30 PM

Both the fountain & Donzi ZR have lower decks for aerodynamics and are built mainly to get every mph....the hull is designed only for speed. The Formula is a great rough water boat(heavy) with a tall deck, windshield and all the amenities. Also, there is about 50-70 hp difference in a 500efi & 525. Most of the 525's come out of dyno @ 535-540hp. Also, I think the Formula beam is 8'-6", Fountain is 8'-0", Donzi might be 8'-2". Believe it or not,that drag makes a difference; but they take a little longer to plane. Then you have to look at the drive heights, that's another story altogether.....there are many reasons...but you get the picture.

carcrash 12-10-2007 12:15 AM

Crouch. Look it up.

http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/crouchcalc.pl

Fountain is a bit better than all others simply because they continuously experiment: they do each boat a little bit differently, and test every single boat, and so they have real data to keep improving their boats.

The result is their 'Crouch number' is a bit better than any other company. Every few years, the competition will carefully measure the latest Fountain hulls (there are thousands out there!) and you'll see a sudden leap forward in performance, and they will achieve the same Crouch number. Then, Fountain will steadily again pull away.

I've been tracking this pattern for two decades. The best non-step boats, like Apache and Cig, had crouch numbers of about 210. Formula, then Fountain, got the numbers up to about 250 with their step bottoms. BOth did some subtle improvements, getting to about 260, but Formula stayed heavy, so always slower so their design was not as obviously good. Several years ago, many builders started building better stepped bottoms, catching up to Fountain, showing almost identical Crouch numbers and performance.

But Reggie does not stop. He keeps on tweaking.

Reggie's best RACE boats are now up to unheard of efficiency, with Crouch numbers of 330 or better. The difference is staggering, and the result is that they simply embarass the competition.

You've just identified one obvious one, the 35 Fountain with twin 525 that is now up to 107, not 101, mph! That is simply a screaming machine. Crouch number is 306, an amazing improvement over recent Fountains, and a fundamental improvement over any other boat out there today.

JUKED YOU 12-10-2007 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Monaco20 (Post 2365272)
Hi

After reading several different articles in magazines and
at the internet. I have following question: How come that
the Formula 353 Fastech with twin 500 efis has top speed
of 74,4 mph. The Fountain 35 lightning with twin 525 efis do
101 mph. The Donzi 38ZR with twin 525 efis do 91 mph.???
The Formula and Fountain has aprox the same weight 8600
The Donzi weight is 9500. Why this enormous speed difference?? I know that the Formula has alltoghter 50 hp
less than the two other boats.

Any comments?

being both a Formula and Donzi dealer i feel compeled to responed.

The best speed that we have seen out a of a 353 formula w/ 500efi's (no boxes) is 80-81. 353 with a 525 its setup will run 83-85 depending on props. 38zr donzi w/ staggered 525s will never run better that 86-88 unless its on a trailer....not a fountain dealer but have had the privilege of running a 2002 side by side 35 lightning with 525efis to 90, (impressive).....just my .02

Rippem 12-10-2007 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by carcrash (Post 2365722)
the 35 Fountain with twin 525 that is now up to 107, not 101, mph!

with setback boxes, staggered engines, tweaked props, and practically zero fuel. I read the posts too. :rolleyes:
not to mention the fact that test mules for propaganda purposes run on the Pamlico behind the plant are often heard to not be exactly out-of the crate power (tweaked ECM's, subtle mods ect)

not belittling the performance, but lets have full disclosure if your looking to impress with a "huge" performance margin over others mentioned here.

353 w/ the old HP500's and boxes run ~ 83-84 MPH

353 w/HP525's SIDE BY SIDE (read; real usable all-day sport-boat cockpit space) and boxes have seen 87-88 MPH

now we are in reality talking 12-14% less top speed in a heavier, wider, taller hullsided boat, with more cockpit space, amenities, and side-by-side engines! (353 vs. 35 F).

some may call that difference the earth, moon, and stars that should get Reginald (and his Kool-Aid drinking legions) the Nobel Prize.

I don't, considering the sacrifices in ride quality at certian lower speeds and space/size.
I think you get exactly what you play for and no free lunch.

I also don't know alot about the Donzi 35...but I do know what it runs with 496's and 525's and it seems appropriate considering it ain't exactly a big 35'er,
low cut and more hot-rod asthetically, the way I see it the most minimalist cabin of the 3 unfortunately...
I really like alot of the styling cues, use of silver/gray/carbon fiber look neutrals, and the dash layout of the ZR's.
They had just hit when I was shopping. I really watched them for awhile.
I just determined that the 353 was bigger and easier to get around on and more usable in many other ways for all-day hanging out and overnighting vs. the 35ZR, or the Fountain.
the money these damm things are...they better do more than one thing well. I think this is the Formula's strong point, and there certianly is no lack of oogling and respect going around in one!

don't mean to be a wet blanket on your Fountain superiority rant (yes I do :D) but...

in all reality 99% of the time there's the Formula buyer, and the Fountain buyer...
I think the Donzi buyer falls somewhere in-between (more Fountain type though) and seeks more individuality/uniqueness in brand and nice quality like the other 2...

I think two distinctly different micro-markets within the performance crowd.

Scott B 12-10-2007 05:59 AM

Hey, 40 gallons of fuel isn't zero ;) ;)

Rippem 12-10-2007 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B (Post 2365767)
Hey, 40 gallons of fuel isn't zero ;) ;)

40 gallons when they launched it. :D

spilman 12-10-2007 07:53 AM

Fountain is fast, no doubt. But it is all in what the buyer is looking for. Most people who buy a Fountain buy it for the name & speed. AND, most people who buy better quality boats are looking for more than the fastest hull.