Engine Hatch on the 28 ZX >

Engine Hatch on the 28 ZX

Notices

Engine Hatch on the 28 ZX

Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Hatch on the 28 ZX

How do you open the engine hatch on a 28 ZX if the electric motor fails for some reason.

I was looking at my engine room today and there is no way in to it as far I can see.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yer kinda screwed, i dont think they thought that one through to well. I think you might be able to knock the hinge pins out. Either way its a destructive process. Just about the whole ZX line is like that.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

On mine the outside shaft was slotted so you could raise it by hand but it is heavy.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi Dude
On mine the outside shaft was slotted so you could raise it by hand but it is heavy.
Sorry I dont follow you. What shaft do you mean?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try hooking up 12 volts through the cigarette lighter. One of the boats I have had came with an adapter for that purpose.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered

Look in the storage behind the drivers seat on the inside of the boat. If you look up in there, there is jump posts that you can hook a jump pack up to to get power and raise your hatch.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera572
You could try hooking up 12 volts through the cigarette lighter. One of the boats I have had came with an adapter for that purpose.
Originally Posted by soonenough
Look in the storage behind the drivers seat on the inside of the boat. If you look up in there, there is jump posts that you can hook a jump pack up to to get power and raise your hatch.

I dont have a hatch problem at the moment I was just curious, what i would have to do if it ever happened and maybe even take precautionary messieurs.

Also your suggestions will only work if the battery is dead but I'm more worried what will happen if the hatch motor breaks all together, its not like it cant happen.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Alladin
Sorry I dont follow you. What shaft do you mean?
I had a 99 There was a grey plastic tube that the lift motor pushed up to lift the motor hatch, it was attached to the bottom of the sun pad, it had a slot on both sides that the ram was attached to allowing you to lift the hatch if the motor would not work, our 35 has one of those round access plates under the back seat that lets you get to the lower lift pin if needed.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

My 03 has charging post in the starboard gunwale. Not sure if they are factory or not. if yours doesn't before you go tearing **** up I would remove the breaker panel and put 12 volts to the battery switch if it has one. Un certain about if the motor fails though, good question

Last edited by cheech; 04-25-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi Dude
.... our 35 has one of those round access plates under the back seat that lets you get to the lower lift pin if needed.
I think this is the best solution tbh, take out a hole under the back seat and put in a access plate. It would seem the Donzi ppl forgot about something when they designed the engine compartment.

On my 28 ZX from 2000 the hatch lift is solid steel with electric motor. No way I can force it up to open the hatch if the motor would break for some reason. Better be safe than sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.